She's down for the count

nisreo

Jul 22, 2006
Well my mustang is nowhere near nice, but I was hoping to drive it around for the rest of the summer and then pull it down next winter. Looks like it's not going to happpen that way.

At the dealer I work at, we have shop night, where we can bring in our own cars after work and do what we want for a few hours. Well I noticed my car making a strange noise as of about 2 weeks ago... kind of like a chain clanking around. not good.

Upon further inspection I found my crankshaft had roughly 1/2" of endplay.... Well, guess my project starts a little early.

Just figure Id post up some of my luck.

• Sponsors (?)

My buddy (blckstng96) has an 88 LX and we noticed the crank was walking about an 1/8th inch back an forth and then a day later BOOM, crank snapped in half. Are you sure your balancer is just completely shot? A half inch doesn't doesn't sound right at all. It actually sounds physically impossible.

^ i agree with jesse. thats alot of play to still be running. an like stated, my bro (blckstng96) snapped his crank an it was alot less play then what your at. something is wrong with this picture. i would check the balancer.

no, the clutch moves the crank, not the otherway around.

Theres a shiny ring around the crank coming out of the front seal, so I know its the crank moving. and I can see it when I use my prybar.

Whatever exactly is going on in there isn't good, and its getting torn out.