shifter help please read

mat82284

Jul 31, 2003
ok i noticed this for a wile now but i didnt know what was causeing it and didnt race for a wile so i havnt messed with it but now i raced and had problems. i got a new steeda triax shifter and stock shifter did the same and when in nutural it goes in and out of gear like a feather but when i drive it gets harder to shift and when i get to 5000rpms its like pulling a sword from a stone its hard to shift the more i rev it when im around 3 its like lifting a box but its not easy like it should and me and my friends think its the clutch or it could be the fluid what do you guys think?? please let me know i want to race again.

• Sponsors (?)

Hmm I would think if it were the clutch it would do it all the time. Does it ever grind between gears? Do you know what fluid is in the tranny?

I had a similar problem with my 88 vert. It was the damn factory clutch quadrant under the dash. They are crap. Its a cheap upgrade to add an adjustable cable, if you haven't I'd do it and maybe dump the fluid and run a synthetic. This cold weather makes it rough anyhow, synthetics help. Also not sure about the correct fluid, I think there is a year break or something, some I've seen had gear lube like 90w, some had dextron automatic fluid which is much thinner and would help.

T5's in broncos use gear oil. all stang t5's that i know of use ATF.

if you have some free play, dial it out. this will help get the pedal off the floor (dont really want freeplay when racing anyhow).

are you matching revs (heel and toeing it)? if not, you are asking your synchros to do a lot of work.

good luck.