Shifting Issue (Cable or Clutch!)

I have a '89 5.0 Spec Clutch, 5K on clutch. 71K on Factory Cable/Quadrant. Steeda Short Throw. I am getting intermident problems with not being able to get it into gear really seems to happen on 2-3-4th gears at different times. Its like its catching where the clutch is not getting fully engaged and other times it gooes right in. So it seems to me if you hit the pedel just right its fine. Does this sound like a out of adjustment problem for the Quadtrant and or cable? And it seems to be getting a little worse. Any ideas guys? The shop that did the clutch job sugguests the adj quadrant kit.

• Sponsors (?)

Go with the MM setup. OEM cable is the way to go, but getting it through Ford will run you something like $180. My mechanic hooked me up with an MM cable for something like $50. DO NOT go with an adjustable setup, like Steeda. They work, but nowhere near as well - you get what you pay for! MM all the way when it comes to the clutch cable/fwa/quad.

You can adjust your cable with fender shims, or cut a section out of a large washer to pull the cable tighter at the firewall. When i have trouble with mine, I adjust the clutch from the bottom, and add fluid. it is usually a cup or two low.

Have you pulled up on the pedal to see if it will self-adjust?

If not, it might be time for an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster.

Since you're pretty close to the floor, you might not quite be disengaging the clutch enough. You would remove some slack in the cable to move the friction-point further up in the pedal's travel.

Hissin - You can just pull the pedel up?!?! I will try that for sure. The garage wants to put in a Adj Qudrannt Kit. I will try that tonight with the pedel I didn't know it should self adjust. I tried what Lawman said and ran through the gears with the engine off and it still seems if you get the pedel right it would flow through them all no problem.

Hissin - You can just pull the pedel up?!?! I will try that for sure. The garage wants to put in a Adj Qudrannt Kit. I will try that tonight with the pedel I didn't know it should self adjust. I tried what Lawman said and ran through the gears with the engine off and it still seems if you get the pedel right it would flow through them all no problem.

Yep, that's how it adjusts.

The quadrant kit and FWA are something you'll probably eventually wanna do. The stock quadrant and pawl are plastic and strip out after enough time.

I just did a pro-motion quadrant and firewall adjuster, i havent driven the car with it yet, but the reason i chose pro-motion over MM is because the firewall adjuster is a much beefier design, it actually uses a threaded collar and a plate which helps stabilize the firewally and help it not to flex, instead of just using one bolt like the stock setup.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...nt-firewall-adjuster-installed-pics-here.html

Sounds like a plan. You'd have wanted to renew or replace those components eventually, esp with age and/or a clutch with a heavier than stock pressure plate.

I'd recommend the MM kit.

Be careful piecing stuff together on your own - some parts don't play nice with others and it leads to fitment or performance issues.