Shocks and Suspension recommendations.

walter

Founding Member
Aug 13, 1998
Houston TX
I think my rear shocks about had it with being driven on lowered springs everything clunks and rumbles about back there going over small bumps and sounds like a bomb going off over the big stuff.

I had the thing checked out and everything is tight so...

I think it's time to even the car out by lowering the front too and slapping on some good shocks. I like what Roush does with their cars and the handling, however I'm not against trying something different. Should I keep Roush socks with the matching springs or should go with the ubiquitous D-specs everyone raves about?

Also I'm in the market for a rear swaybar, something cheap and good. BMR and the Steeda setup are preferred with their thick diameter and sturdy endlinks. BMR edges out in price right now. (the front will come later as it's not a necessary item perhaps I'll firm up the bushings and mounts but that's about it).

What do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

^^^ Any shock that has an adjustable dampening feature will be more likely to blow because of the added stress/leak points caused by the adjuster.

It's starting to sound like I'll be going Roush unless someone manages to talk me out of those.
I would love to be able to buy the Red Roush shocks but it appears they only come in a package.

^^^ Any shock that has an adjustable dampening feature will be more likely to blow because of the added stress/leak points caused by the adjuster.

Both the D-specs & Koni are adjustable. I know Konis have a lifetime warranty. Technically they may be more likely to blow, but unless you are doing rally/stunt driving, this won't be an issue.

unless you are into racing on a track and you will actually adjust the shocks, I'd just stick to the fixed ones. Let's face it, most people are not going to stop every time they see a twisty stretch of road to adjust the dampers. You'll set 'em where you think they work the best and leave 'em there. Why spend the extra coin and guess at a setting when you can have a Roush tested setup? Oh, and +1 for sticking to one manufacturer.

unless you are into racing on a track and you will actually adjust the shocks, I'd just stick to the fixed ones. Let's face it, most people are not going to stop every time they see a twisty stretch of road to adjust the dampers. You'll set 'em where you think they work the best and leave 'em there. Why spend the extra coin and guess at a setting when you can have a Roush tested setup? Oh, and +1 for sticking to one manufacturer.

That is my thoughts exactly on adjustable shocks. I can tell you if I bought adjustables that is exacly what would happen. I just bought the FRPP K springs and think I will go with the Tokico HP's.

question on this. I just installed Eibach pro kits and the car is boucing in the highway. The Tokico HPS will help on that?

Chiming in because I have the HPs installed.

They are firm but not floaty, i'd totally recommend them however when i talked to the guys at Tokico about it they said to stay away from anything lower than 1.5" (which is why I went with the ford springs). The Prokit is the same thing if i'm not mistaken.

I just recently installed Tokico hp series shocks on my 02 GT wich is 1 1/4 inch lower than stock and they raised the car up more than a 1/4 inch,will they settle down because if they don't I will probably get rid of them .I liked the way my car was sitting before I put on the Tokico's.

I ended up getting the Roush Shocks. You should get nothing but positive results when you get shocks that have been engineered and valved to work with a particular set of springs. So far I'm enjoying the results even if it's just in the rear of the car.

I've got all my suspension parts in except for the shocks. I Have been researching different setups and are actually leaning toward Bilsteins. They have a system of valving discs that automatically adjust dampening rates to the load put on the shock. They claim it's the best of both worlds; riding pretty soft during everyday cruising and then stiffening up when you push the envelope. I would actually like some shocks that I coule raise the ride height in the rear when I wanted to run a large slick at the track but without going to an expensive coil-over rear set up.