shocks/struts change?

redlobster

Oct 19, 2003
how hard is it to change shocks and struts on a 86 5.0 stang? ive done shocks on my blazer, explorer, and struts on my friends accord, anything harder or easier about the fox stangs?

• Sponsors (?)

Never done struts, but I did change my rear shocks a few weeks ago. I highly recommend buying one of the shock removal/installation tools they sell at the parts store. It will make the job much easier and only cost about $5.00.

what is the shock tool your talking about called, i also have impact gun and a few other air tools to work with, any walk throughs cuz im doing this for a friend so i want to get it right the first time lol

i tried to take off my stock strut with just a regular socket wrench and a pipe...the strut just kept spinning lol. dunno if an impact wrench would be too tall to fit between my hood and the strut, but i'll try this weekend AFTER prom. also, kind of on the topic of suspension, when i change my front springs, think it will be okay to drive it to like a shop and have them install the c/c plates and give it an alignment? i'll also be putting offset rack bushings on.

If you have an impact gun you probably won't need the shock removal tool I metioned. All it basicaly consist of is a socket like thing that is completely open on both ends that slides down onto the nut on top of the shock. Then there is another part that fits on the square part above the threads on the top of the shock. You then just put an open face wrench on both parts and it allows you to loosen the shock without it turning all of the way through. I made that sound alot more complex than it actually is.

for the shocks, i just use a small box end wrench or vice grips to hold the spindle on it.
same can be done on the strut if need be (impact took it right off).

it is all easy - you should be able to do all 4 in a few hours. good luck.