shop prices, no DIY here..

mijo_latino

Apr 16, 2004
Canton, Michigan
What is a reasonable amount for installation of full length subframes and a panhard bar?

So far i got quoted ~$1300 for parts and install, ~$900 just install...

reading up on the technical parts of both of them and its something i can't do. The panhard i may, but there seems to be too much measuring that can't be done just in a driveway. I know its pricey but the shops are mustang friendly.

Pay to play? Or a rip?

• Sponsors (?)

Most muffler shops will install some for you for cheap if you get the parts.

When i installed mine i just prep'd everything under the car, drove to the muffler shop (They do cages and other thing) and had them weld it up. I then took it to my house and painted the welds. So easy. Came out nice.

I think I paid $150 to have my subframe connectors installed. The installation was done very professionally.

I'm wary of random muffler shops- alot of their "welders" are hacks. This is certainly not the case with all of them, but most of the time you don't know what you're getting until the job is done.

Make sure the shop that is installing them has a drive on lift, as opposed to a 4 point lift. If the SFCs are installed with the car lifted by the chassis, you'll have problems down the road

Good luck.

It cost me $70 for my subframes and seat brackets to be welded.

To have my custom exhaust welded, IRS brace welded in and engine cradle brace welded in on my Mark VIII I was quoted $225 so $900 is a bit rediculous. :shrug:

I can't see paying more than 300, 150 and lower seems to be the usual average for full lengths depending on the brand and fit.

Don't forget guys, installing the PHB isn't an easy task by any means. There's welding involved, and also a lot of fitting and measuring to get the bar lined up right

The PHB from MM is 340, and the full length SFC is 150.
Total of parts is 490.
Installation cost is then 810 (using his total of 1300)
Considering 100-150 for install of the SFC is "fair and average," you're left with 660 to install the PHB.
If average shop labor rates is 75/hr, that's 8.9 hours to install the PHB. While not outrageous, it does seem a bit long to install, hours wise.

Try and price around for the labor.