Short-throw shifters... opinions?

imthaman01007

Feb 26, 2010
WMass
So, I've come to realize that fixing up my '92 is not going to be cheap or easy, so following that vein, I'm looking at cheap bolt-on parts for it.

As I've turned my attention to Short-throw shifters, and I know little about them, I'm looking for advice and opinions on which company to go with.

aaaaaand GO!

• Sponsors (?)

I think most of them out there are pretty good...wayyyy back in 2000 or so, I got a UPR Blu Thunder (which at the time was a Steeda Tri-Ax copy), for the money I thought it was great. I ran it for almost 10 years between two vehicles.

Yep, you can't beat the UPR shifter... of course, I may be biased. :nice: But seriously though, I had our shifter on my notch which went 10.17 @ 132 with a T-5... I beat that thing to death and it performed flawlessly.

Tri-Ax or if you want a little bit better of a shifter for more money, an MGW.

Having said that, I currently run a Tri-Ax. I like the MGW equally well but for different reasons. The edge that I think the MGW has (if I had to buy just one shifter not knowing how it would fit me specifically in car X) is that it's adjustable where the Tri-Ax is not.

I run the Tri-Ax because it fits me, in my Fox, has some notch to it ( I like feeling of positive engagement ) and after being broke in, is smooth as a baby's ass.

Buying blind though... the MGW is a little bit smoother and is adjustable. You really can't loose with that shifter while not knowing exactly what your desires are going to be.

The Pro 5.0... very nice, very notchy, smooths a little over time, but never held a candle to the Tri-Ax or MGW. I'd recommend this shifter for gear bangers that spend a lot of time at the track.

Those are the three I know. ALL are a vast improvement over the stock T5 shifter.

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks a bunch. guys.
My shifter is starting to feel like I'm stirring a bowl of gravel, and I need it out like yesterday, lol.
After some research, I'm leaning towards the Tri-Ax, But I'ma learn me a bit more first.

:lol: