Should i change my MAF+TB?

OrangeMustangGt

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2002
Cape Cod, MA
What do you think, for the money it will be for injectors, MAF, TB is it worth the HP increase? What do you think im leaving on the table with my stock Intake crap? I think it may be quite a bit, im not saying my car is slow, but i bet i can squeeze alot more power out, what do you think? plus a tune of course

• Sponsors (?)

I can tell you that with the combo you see in my sig I was at the point of pegging the maf.

I have since gone to a 65mm tb & 80mm maf and from mid to high rpm's the car pulls much harder now than with the stock tb & maf.

Due to the combo moving more air than the stock maf could handle I told ProM to calibrate the new maf to match my inj's.

I would upgrade your intake before the tb & maf.

After the intake I think you will just about be at the limit of your 19# inj's and you may want to replace the inj's along with the maf.

Later
Grady

You can look at the setup I had in OLD SlowGT below. I put a 65mm BBK on and couldn't notice any difference at all. I'd go for a larger MAF. When I put on the 73mm C&L, it was a very noticable difference. You don't need larger injectors yet. I think your money would be better spent on an aluminum driveshaft. D&D still has them for $179. Do you still have your smog pump? Buy a shorter belt and skip the smog pump. Do you really need power steering? Had a few guys around here eliminate it and just loop the rack plumbing. Makes your belt even shorter & it's around a 20# weight loss. I've driven them and it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Guess it depends on how strong your forearms are and how often you let your woman drive it.

Hey save your money for the S/C, buy everything then. Do you really want to have to recal the MAF when you get the S/C. Just wait you will be much happier in the end. The couple hundred you spend now for the few ponys is not worth it. I am a little pissed off that I bought my MAF alright now I have to spend another $110 to get it recal for my new setup. The only reason I bought my MAF is bc the old one went bad. And if you are really really set on one PM me. I might be selling mine.

Dustin

GreenMustangGt said:
thanks, yeah? do you really think my intake is holding me back? it a cobra-style? also, yeah i allready have a short belt. ok, whell i guess ill look into a maf.

I thought the Explorer intake was kinda in-between a stocker and a Cobra intake.

If I'm correct on that assumption, I do think an intake would give you more gain than a maf.

Later
Grady