Should I sell my Mustang?

What should I do?

• Keep the mustang

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Sell the mustang, buy a VW GTI 4 Door

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Sell the mustang, buy a Dodge Caliber SRT-4

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Sell the mustang, buy a Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart (coming soon)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

S-L-A-C-K-E-R

Mar 12, 2008
Ok this is a somewhat long story, so bear with me. I have a 2002 Mustang GT. It has 107,000 miles on it. It's completely stock and I'm the original owner. I used it for daily driving purposes. I certainly didn't baby it. It was my daily driver/workhorse/fun car. I decided to buy a junk car to drive around on a daily basis now that the stang is paid off. It's a mazda 3. It's ok but it really doesn't do anything for me. I really miss having a fun car to drive everyday. I still have the mustang but I don't drive it that often. I drive it maybe once a week just to keep the fluids moving. Plus, it sucks to pay high insurance on the mustang while it just sits in the garage and depreciates. Also, I like cars (especially ones with some kick to them) but I'm not the type of guy to really get hands on with restoration and/or mods. I just like to get in and go with no muss or fuss. I'm afraid the mustang might get more high maintenence in it's "older" age. I don't really want to mess with any of that stuff to be honest. Also, family life is in the not so distant future for me and my wife. So I've been tossing around the idea of buying a car that is both practical and fun. Something that has 4 doors but a bit of kick to it. In order to do this I would have to sell both the mustang and the mazda. My current top choices for a replacement are the VW GTI 4 door, Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart (coming in fall), and the Dodge Caliber SRT4. So what do you guys think I should do? Make your vote and let me know. I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks!!!

• Sponsors (?)

If your heart isn't going to be in the upcoming repairs and mods for the aging stang, it sounds to me like you've made the decision go another route. That's OK and we've either done it ourselves or have seen friends do the same, but know you'll be back! Of those choices, I voted for the VW GTI (manual please?) as it has the fun factor, the room and utility for a single vehicle. Mitsu is going to be ~10k more and wouldn't consider the dodge personally because of build quality.

If your heart isn't going to be in the upcoming repairs and mods for the aging stang, it sounds to me like you've made the decision go another route. That's OK and we've either done it ourselves or have seen friends do the same, but know you'll be back! Of those choices, I voted for the VW GTI (manual please?) as it has the fun factor, the room and utility for a single vehicle. Mitsu is going to be ~10k more and wouldn't consider the dodge personally because of build quality.

Cool. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. I definitely will be getting a manual no matter what car I end up getting. I think the GTI is my number one choice also.

The "know you'll be back" part is so true. It's really not the end of the world if I lose my mustang. I'll probably appreciate the car more after it's gone and someday I can get a new one when I can afford it. So I guess it's not a huge deal. There are other mustangs to be had in the future. Worst case scenario, I'll just save up for the perfect stang come retirement when I don't need something so practical anymore.

Keep the Mustang...............it's paid for. :nice: You won't put that many miles a year on it if you only drive it occassionally. You will miss it and wind up buying another one anyway. Get yourself a nice, used, low mileage family car like an Altima and keep the Mustang................that would be me vote. Just my .02 worth.:D

To be a true Mustang lover, you do all that you can to keep that car. You live, breath, and bleed blue. Doesn't sound like your quite in that category. Honestly the GTI is an awsome car. I've driven 2 new GTI's and they are fun, and have lots of balls to them. Plenty of room and build quality is top notch. If I had the money that would probably be my daily driven car. Also it's so easy to make even faster with a simple chip upgrade. Go for the DUB!

Keep the Mustang...............it's paid for. :nice: You won't put that many miles a year on it if you only drive it occassionally. You will miss it and wind up buying another one anyway. Get yourself a nice, used, low mileage family car like an Altima and keep the Mustang................that would be me vote. Just my .02 worth.:D

:stupid: been there, done that. back now.

I'm not sure of your current status:

1) how far do you drive to work

2) why did you buy a beater if you loved driving the Stang so much?

3) Just keep fire and theft on the mustang if you live in the rust belt, cuts your insurance in half for the winter months.

4) That GT will go to 200,000 with minimal problems.

5) As you said it, all cars depreciate and if you are planning on starting a family, get your wife a family car; that's what I did.

6) I don't care how much boost, how well it handles, there's no feeling like driving a Mustang. I did the Spec V 4dr route for 5 years and went back to an 04 GT as an everyday driver. I even went auto and while the Spec was like a roller scate with good mpg, decent torque for a 4cyl, there's no sound like an 8.

I know an LS1,2, STI or whatever else that makes more power will beat it, but ask me if I care. I didn't want a catfish, nor do I want a car that rides like it has cut springs. The last time I checked I wasn't in a road rallie or a straight line contest.

I'm not sure if Vdub ever fixed their coking problem with the engine oil yet, but it's something you may want to look into. Always check the forums because if there is something to complain about, it will certainly be on there.

In my opinion, the Vdub would be the best everyday driver. Lancer looks like pissed off rice and the caliber, it could have 500 hp and I still wouldn't roll in it.

If the v dub breaks outside of warranty though, you'll take it in the rear to fix that car.

Keep the Stang, drive it for another 100G and then decide if you want to pick up a family car. When you have more than two kids, you need a family car, until then, your setting yourself up for greater depreciation.

Just my opinion.

Great advice everyone. I'm getting some good arguements on both sides.

I guess the only way I'll know if I'll miss it is to get rid of it. Otherwise I'm going to keep having this internal conflict forever. I'm actually leaning towards just getting rid of it. I figure it's not the end of the world if I miss it. I'll just get another one someday. Of course, years from now, I might have 3 kids and not enough money for a 3rd car just for fun and I would have traded the GTI in for a minivan and I'm screwed. So I just don't know what to do. Now I'm leaning towards keeping it. Ugh.

I guess the only way I'll know if I'll miss it is to get rid of it. Otherwise I'm going to keep having this internal conflict forever. I'm actually leaning towards just getting rid of it. I figure it's not the end of the world if I miss it. I'll just get another one someday. Of course, years from now, I might have 3 kids and not enough money for a 3rd car just for fun and I would have traded the GTI in for a minivan and I'm screwed. So I just don't know what to do. Now I'm leaning towards keeping it. Ugh.

Tarot cards FTW!

Tarot cards FTW!

what does it cost you to keep it?

How much do you think you could realistically get for it, and how much do you think that you'd pay a month on that new GTI?

Maybe you make bank roll or something of that nature, but I'd rather save the money just incase you need that mini van in five.

What does your wife drive? Is it not 4dr?