Should I trade my Coupe for this Hatch??

slow90coupe

Apr 25, 2010
Well, I have been trying to sell my coupe for a while now, and have had a few decent cash offers, just not enough. I recently got a pretty decent trade offer. Here's the rundown on the cars and a few pics. I'm undecided at this point. I really like the hatch, but my coupe is my first real car, so it's kinda special to me. But it's just a pile of crap that's been polished up about as much as it can, but it's still a turd at heart.

1990 LX 5.0 5 speed Coupe

3:73 gears
Magnaflow dumps
Yukon axles and drums
03 Cobra wheels and Tires (almost brand new)
KYB rear shocks
Rear Coilovers
new Balljoints
94 spindles and calipers
new Rotors and pads
KYB struts
UPR coilovers
MM C/C plates
TFS Heads
COMP GOLD R/Rs
BBK LT headers
BBK H-pipe
Lunati 51014 cam
TFS intake
Professional Products FPR
March Underdrives
new Water pump
new timing cover
75MM TB
brand new gas tank and BBK 255LPH pump
engine Gaskets
smoked Headlights
2.5 Kanean hood
new cowl panel
SONY Head unit
KENWOOD speakers all around
MTX sub
SUMMIT sport seats
MGW shifter
Hurst shift knob And Pistol Grip knob
24# injectors
Pro-M MAF
BBK CAI
Procomp Valve Covers

Here's what's wrong with it... The RR quarter panel is destroyed from the side molding on down from a tire blowout before I built and bought the car. The cowl panel is bent from hood flying up, front bumper is really wavy, rear bumper has a little crack in it, one of the wheel stud is stripped out and will have to be drilled out, and it leaks a few drops of oil every week.

DSCN2280.jpg

DSCN2281.jpg

DSCN2278.jpg

DSCN2138.jpg

DSCN2758.jpg

The 1991 LX 5.0 5 Speed Hatch... Also topped off by $1500 boot to me

1991 Ford Mustang LX Hatchback
5.0 5spd
151k miles
2.73 or 3.08 gear(not sure)
all original save for new clear headlights
clean str8 body
gray tweed interior
ac/heat
net/spare tire everything the way it came in the hatch
hood light works
factory radio works well
cruise doesnt work
power door locks and windows work great
door pouches
factory sunroof doesnt leak
new radiator and fan
fairly new sensashocks in rear
tires are good
hood closes perfect
The BAD- A small tear (as all tweed seats do) on the DS side bolster....

hatchpass.jpg

hatcheng.jpg

hatchreardrver.jpg

download_IMG00610-20111005-1612.jpg

download_IMG00613-20111005-1613.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

LX, I would fix what you have and polish some more. You have a good looking coupe. I am not a fan of the hatch but that is just me. I would fix all of the little items you mentions and the big ones and keep the coupe. If your board polishing I have 2 89 converts and a 79 coupe Ill send your way to keep you busy. Brian

I am not a coupe guy but I would keep yours. You are losing on this deal, a trade like that is going backwards. I would rather do the body work and paint to your car then start all over.

That bone stock hatch is worth about 3500. Your car is worth more even with the 1500 boot.

Don't do it, you'll regret it for a long time. Trading for that hatch is a huge step backwards, both monetarily and from a desirability standpoint. In the modern mustang market, even a sloppy coupe will bring in more dough than a clean hatch most any day of the week. Do the body/paint on the coupe and keep it.

That would really be a dumb move. Coupes are more valuable and you have a ton of work into yours already. Also, heres a little secret... they all leak some kind of fluids

I've always liked the hatch's look better than the coupe's, but you'll lose rigidity.

But I agree with these guys. You've already put so much work into your coupe, and it looks brilliant. I'd say keep the coupe.

Your basically starting over with a lower slate to begin with. With all the money you would have to spend to get the hatch to where yours is, you could buy one hell of a paint job for the coupe. The way I see it is, you are trading a modded car for a completely stock car. Not hard to figure out. Plus LX hatches are probably the most common out of the aero foxes..

Man this kid has too much money on his hands. The real problem here is not the little imperfections the sweet coupe of his has but that he got bored of dumping his daddy’s money on the coupe, when he was half way the built. And now he wants a newly fresh canvas to dump more of daddy’s hard earned money on another mustang because he got bored and don’t know where to spend his daddy’s money anymore. Guys don’t lose ur time telling him not to sell the coupe bc I have seen so many try to convince him for months not to but he’s made his mind up, and that coupe will never be perfect enough for him. Kid honestly if my hatchback was just a little bit better looking than what it looks like, I would swap cars with u in a heart beat and rip u off bad , seriously bc u got one sweet looking and tastefully modded coupe that every one here would be happy to own but u of course. On last thing before I forget, Im going to give only one last advise kid , when u do trade ur coupe for a stock-ish hatchback bc I know u will, try getting a job at ur local Winston-Salem mcd’s like every other kid ur age and try modding the stang with the money u earn there and not with ur daddy’s money, u may learn something. Stop being a so naïve and such a cry baby. That my friends is what happens when ur born with a silver spoon in your damn mouth. After all I've said if ur still interested in trading with me, pm me as I am from nc as well

Man this kid has too much money on his hands. The real problem here is not the little imperfections the sweet coupe of his has but that he got bored of dumping his daddy’s money on the coupe, when he was half way the built. And now he wants a newly fresh canvas to dump more of daddy’s hard earned money on another mustang because he got bored and don’t know where to spend his daddy’s money anymore. Guys don’t lose ur time telling him not to sell the coupe bc I have seen so many try to convince him for months not to but he’s made his mind up, and that coupe will never be perfect enough for him. Kid honestly if my hatchback was just a little bit better looking than what it looks like, I would swap cars with u in a heart beat and rip u off bad , seriously bc u got one sweet looking and tastefully modded coupe that every one here would be happy to own but u of course. On last thing before I forget, Im going to give only one last advise kid , when u do trade ur coupe for a stock-ish hatchback bc I know u will, try getting a job at ur local Winston-Salem mcd’s like every other kid ur age and try modding the stang with the money u earn there and not with ur daddy’s money, u may learn something. Stop being a so naïve and such a cry baby. That my friends is what happens when ur born with a silver spoon in your damn mouth. After all I've said if ur still interested in trading with me, pm me as I am from nc as well

WTF. How about I tell YOU something. Every mod that I have done to the coupe during the 2 years I have had it has been paid for BY ME, with the exception of the front tires. I WORKED my ass off for my dad at his tire shop doing tires and oil changes, plus shop maintainence for 3 years SOLID before I could come up with the money to build the car the way I wanted to build it, with MY money. I work AT LEAST 45 hours a week during the summer time so I can pay for whatever I want to, BY MYSELF, and almost every saturday while school is in session. Silver spoon in my mouth.. BS. I will admit that my family is on the "fortunate side", but they got that way by WORKING, not by one member of the family getting rich and having the rest of the family mooch off of one person. Every member of my family works a regular job, no stay at home trophy wife BS. My mom probably works harder than my dad. They both know the fundamentals of how to raise a kid up the right way. I just hope that one day I can make them happy, so I work hard in school and at home to make sure that I can follow in their footsteps, as RESPECTABLE, HONEST HUMAN BEINGS. I make $7 an hour, less than minimum wage, because my parents knows how to raise a kid up the RIGHT WAY. Start them off at the very bottom, and reward them a little bit as they mature. Let's see here... $7 an hour x 45 hours a week, for 12 weeks during the summer, plus about 7 hours a week for the other 44 weeks of the year. That = 5936 a year, not counting doing yard work at my house, detailing cars, and other little stuff like that. I think that's plenty to pay for a little HCI coupe. 5936 is just one year. I have been working for 3 years, so I'm not some dumbass who pours every penny he makes into his car. I have saved the rest of the money for my FUTURE, NOT just some damn car. Also, i'm smart enough to realize that it's stupid to build a car rather than buy one already built, especially when you have a FAMILY that needs to be provided for like you do. That's why I built one while I was still living at home with ZERO expenses instead of waiting until i'm in my mid 30's and have a midlife crisis where I decide to blow all of my money on a car, while my family suffers the consequences of my stupidity. I already got my stupid money blowing out of my system. I could sit here and type and type all day, but it won't change your mind about how you think of me, or my "daddy built" car.

To everyone else, I appreciate your opinions, I will be NOT BE TRADING, and I will be keeping my coupe. :nice: