Silly OT: Since the "How much HP?" Question came up....

Okay, so there's not a 'Stang in my carport - and probably won't be until well after NoKitten collects his Cougars. So, I've gotta ask about thetorque production from the two "Pony's" in my life - just because it's Monday and I'm feeling squirrely! :p

Pony #1: Runs on "alternative fuel" (alfalfa and grain and the occasional Granny Smith apple as an additive); four-hoof-drive. "Emission controls" consist of a rake and a shovel. Short-coupled, short legs, a real "short-stroke" beast. 26 year old with nice but not perfect bloodlines. This close to the Border, I'm guessing it's got a Mexican block.

Pony #2 Only 25! Same fueling, basic powertrain and emissions specs as #1. Long-legged, very long strides - definitely a "stroker" beast; but all original power train. This one is a thouroughbred Classic - or is he a classic Thouroughbred? - with quite the pedigree. Runs forever on a bale of hay, but can chug down the fuel like crazy if kept close to home.

So which one has the better 60 foot time? The slips might well surprise you. :D

• Sponsors (?)

StangDreamin' said:
Okay, so there's not a 'Stang in my carport - and probably won't be until well after NoKitten collects his Cougars. So, I've gotta ask about thetorque production from the two "Pony's" in my life - just because it's Monday and I'm feeling squirrely! :p

Pony #1: Runs on "alternative fuel" (alfalfa and grain and the occasional Granny Smith apple as an additive); four-hoof-drive. "Emission controls" consist of a rake and a shovel. Short-coupled, short legs, a real "short-stroke" beast. 26 year old with nice but not perfect bloodlines. This close to the Border, I'm guessing it's got a Mexican block.

Pony #2 Only 25! Same fueling, basic powertrain and emissions specs as #1. Long-legged, very long strides - definitely a "stroker" beast; but all original power train. This one is a thouroughbred Classic - or is he a classic Thouroughbred? - with quite the pedigree. Runs forever on a bale of hay, but can chug down the fuel like crazy if kept close to home.

So which one has the better 60 foot time? The slips might well surprise you. :D
The green walking, talking one-eye balled critter when he gets too close to either one's hind quarters AFTER forgetting to spot check the emission controls! :rlaugh:

65stanger said:
The green walking, talking one-eye balled critter when he gets too close to either one's hind quarters AFTER forgetting to spot check the emission controls! :rlaugh:

Nope! Neither one of the boys has "launched me".
I've never seen Rascal lift a leg that wasn't for somebody to clean his hooves.
Chance "got himself cocked" to take a shot at me once; practiced the old "smack the other haunch" trick on him and he dropped the kicking foot in a heartbeat. I've seen him give Latigo the Wonder Puppy flying Lessons twice; and he once tried to send a stranger out of his stall through the fence rails. The guy was "...going to protect your son, even if you don't, from that psycho horse..." (talking to me about Chance and my son Matt). Chance had very certain ideas about who was protecting Matt from whom. He decided long ago that Matt is his boy; and he didn't like this other guy one bit; so he gave the jerk a beautiful, perfectly arcing shot to the abdomen that lifted him about 30" and sent him back about 10 feet - hard into the fence. Speaking of that, he also bit a good chunk out of the guy - but then again, he's bitten me as well -only once!

So, nope, neither one has launched me.
Guess again. The question is, who's got a quicker launch off the line? The short-stroke high-revving Quarterhorse, or the stroker Thorughbred?

EDIT: Since we are talking about two different "powerplants"; I guess I should mention the differing "chassis"! The "stroker" is somewhat taller, a bit longer, and weighs 1.4 times the weight of the little guy (literally - 1400lbs versus an even half-ton); sort of like comparing a '68 Stang with a '69 LTD. :D

StangDreamin' said:
So, nope, neither one has launched me.
Guess again. The question is, who's got a quicker launch off the line? The short-stroke high-revving Quarterhorse, or the stroker Thorughbred?

EDIT: Since we are talking about two different "powerplants"; I guess I should mention the differing "chassis"! The "stroker" is somewhat taller, a bit longer, and weighs 1.4 times the weight of the little guy (literally - 1400lbs versus an even half-ton); sort of like comparing a '68 Stang with a '69 LTD. :D
My guess would be the quarter off the line, but the thorough in the mile.

65stanger said:
I don't think anyone else here really cares, 'cause they both only generate 1 HP at TH! :D

I think you're right - about the number of people following this!

As for your guess, BZZZTTT! Rascal is really quick off the line; typical of a QH. But Chance goes from a standing start to full blast in about 3 steps if you tap his ribs a little. I call his launches "Aim it and light the fuse"

Understand that Chance is a very long horse; even at 16.2 hands, he's still a little out of proportion, being too long for his height. His walking stride is about 7'10"; at a full gallop, he stretches out to almost but not quite 14 feet. Couple that with a true thoroughbred haunch and rump area; and you've got the equivalent of a 514 c.i. BBF with 6 lbs of boost plus a 150-shot, all tied to a 3.27 rear gear. :D And he'll run for a loooooo-ooong time if you don't get him collected up rather soon after he takes off. Then the operative term is "HANG ON!" :eek: I watched Trish blow him out in some soft sand one day last winter - he was kicking up rooster-tails nearly to the top of her head.

65stanger said:
But he is still only ONE horse, therefore ONE HORSEPOWER! :nonono:

Yeah, but he has many pounds/feet of torque! And remember the one guy's sig - it goes something like this:

"Build for torque. Horsepower is something you brag to your buddies about."

With torque like that Old Fart (Chance) has; I'd bet with a good poke in the ribs, Chance could drag RealMongo in one of HM's Stang bodies up to about 20 MPH. :p

65stanger said:
Then it would be a REAL "Pony car"!!! :rlaugh:

:p

Actually, you've got a point - except that Chance pretty much blows away the "pony" designation by a couple of "hands" . 2.5 hands to be exact; since they consider a pony to be no more than 14 hands tall.

Good Lord, how do I know this crap???? That's like knowing the concours correct paint daubs on the driveshaft of a '68 GT-350! That's great for Chepsk8, he's a judge. But it's totally useless info for us "regular guys"!

StangDreamin' said:
:p

Actually, you've got a point - except that Chance pretty much blows away the "pony" designation by a couple of "hands" . 2.5 hands to be exact; since they consider a pony to be no more than 14 hands tall.

Good Lord, how do I know this crap???? That's like knowing the concours correct paint daubs on the driveshaft of a '68 GT-350! That's great for Chepsk8, he's a judge. But it's totally useless info for us "regular guys"!
Are you saying you don't know if Chance is concours correct?:scratch:

65stanger said:
Are you saying you don't know if Chance is concours correct?:scratch:

Oh yeah, he's not concours correct as a pony because he's way too tall.

He's not even concours correct as a Thoroughbred track horse because he's been gelded - and that is not fixable; as in putting original sheetmetal and fiberglass back on a GT500 to "de-Eleanore-ize" it.

StangDreamin' said:
Oh yeah, he's not concours correct as a pony because he's way too tall.

He's not even concours correct as a Thoroughbred track horse because he's been gelded - and that is not fixable; as in putting original sheetmetal and fiberglass back on a GT500 to "de-Eleanore-ize" it.
Ummmmm......How do you "Eleanore-ize" a horse?:scratch: More importantly, why would you want too? :shrug:

Well, Since You Asked.....

65stanger said:
Ummmmm......How do you "Eleanore-ize" a horse?:scratch: More importantly, why would you want too? :shrug:

I opened up a snapfish account for just such contingencies! The linked picture shows Chance having been "Eleanore-ized" for the August 2004 Payson (AZ) Rodeo Parade!

http://www.snapfish.com/viewsharedphoto/p=657251114493259445/l=46774393/otsc=SYE/otsi=SPIC

The good news is that these were "non-destructive mods" :nice: The little (3/4" diameter) roses were just wired into the rubber bands "roaching" his mane; they came out with the rubber bands -much to his and my relief! And the plastic "silk flowers" were tied to the saddle - they came off right after the parade as well.

You can tell how much Chance enjoyed all his "accessories"; the long-suffering Mrs StangDreamin' was holding him back as he was trying to hide in the trailer's "walk-in tack/dressing room". :p

65stanger said:
You are one mean sonofabitch! First you cut the poor guy's balls off, then you dress him up in all that sissy-fied fru-fru! :mad:
I am surprised Chance hasn't given you a good swift kick in the neck! :nonono:

Wrong! He was gelded a loooooooooooong time before he ever came to Yuma. And all that "fake flowers" crapola was not installed by me! :puke: In fact, I think he took solice in hearing me complain loudly about that junk.
Fortunately, he didn't hear me chuckling as I photographed him trying to hide in the tackbox! :p

StangDreamin' said:
Wrong! He was gelded a loooooooooooong time before he ever came to Yuma. And all that "fake flowers" crapola was not installed by me! :puke: In fact, I think he took solice in hearing me complain loudly about that junk.
Fortunately, he didn't hear me chuckling as I photographed him trying to hide in the tackbox! :p
uh huh. sure. we believe you, now put down the scissors and back away............s-l-l-o-o-o-w-l-y. :D