Sinking Lifters

leeluttrell

Feb 2, 2004
Got a 67 with a FMS 340hp aluminum head motor. When I turn it off you hear a clicking sound, like you would here if the headers were cooling off, except it is coming from inside the engine. And not that many clicks either, about a dozen then it stops. I re-start the engine, let it run for 3 min. shut it off and then the clicks start, then stop. The engine is not hot and it is hard to find the "sweet spot" on the timing. I think my lifters are bleeding down...so does my brother. Any of you ever had this problem?

• Sponsors (?)

Lifters

sirsureshot39 said:
no havnt had that problem. Whats your oil pressure at?How old are these lifters? Are you using solid lift springs? Cant think of anyhting else that would cause it..
Oil Pressure is low like all crate motors about 40lbs. The engine is just a year old and they are roller lifters to go with the roller E303 cam. These engines are test ran by ford then stuck in a crate and put on a shelf untill someone buys one. I wonder if sitting on a shelf with the lifters preloaded for a long period of time may have led to pre-mature failure?

Do u feel up to changing the lifters out? You bought it as a complete long block with pushrods already installed?...i duno if that would cause a problem..??anyone else..TTT