Smog Pump Delete

Where I live there is no emission test. I currently do not run cats. I was thinking of removing the smog pump and related hardware, but I just read where that may cause problems with the EGR valve and/or heads. The heads I will be using are the twisted wedge not track heat. The T/W's have an egr provision and I don't want to ruin a new head. Is it safe to remove the pump and stuff? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

thanks for clearing that up. I read where someone's over heating problem may have been caused by bypassing the smog pump w/a short belt. That person still had cats and was told the pump is used to help cool the cats and egr. I was just concerned b/c w/o all those hoses the engine compartment will look a lot cleaner (plus the weight savings of removing parts not used or needed).

The EGR valve is not part of the smog system. You can buy thermactor plugs for the backs of your heads from a Ford dealer and a smog pump delete (the one I use) form UPR. It is a great looking product and I highly recommend it. All of those other lines (the one running to the back of the heads and the one running to the mid-pipe) can be removed.

Yes, it is easy to to remove the smog pump assembly. Plugging the ports behind your heads is sound advice. However, I would not waste the money on a "delete" system. Just run a short belt. It is much cheaper, and will help you retain the wieght savings that you will gain.

loud 95 said:
Yes, it is easy to to remove the smog pump assembly. Plugging the ports behind your heads is sound advice. However, I would not waste the money on a "delete" system. Just run a short belt. It is much cheaper, and will help you retain the wieght savings that you will gain.

That's true, but I am just wondering which will end up being cheaper the new short belt or the delete kit?

95COBRA241 said:
That's true, but I am just wondering which will end up being cheaper the new short belt or the delete kit?

As I recall, my goodyear gatorback belt was about 16 bucks. The delete kits are about $50. I plugged the remaining vacuum lines with golf Tees and stuffed the lines in the fender. I also had a custom SCT chip burned, which was programmed to ignore the EGR system and smog system.

Trust me get a delete kit from summit if you drive your car, i had two different belts, a gator back and a normal one, both very tight when i put them on, streched withing a month and caused the tensioner to hit the stop and make noise, and the cheap belt streched so far that the belt was slipping, i ended up buying two belts =$40, then deciding since its my dd id be better off spending the money to do it right'
Russell

titaniumsc03 said:
Trust me get a delete kit from summit if you drive your car, i had two different belts, a gator back and a normal one, both very tight when i put them on, streched withing a month and caused the tensioner to hit the stop and make noise, and the cheap belt streched so far that the belt was slipping, i ended up buying two belts =$40, then deciding since its my dd id be better off spending the money to do it right'
Russell

Anyone else had a problem like this?

With the short belt, my tensioner is at the ragged edge of working and the belt slips ever so slightly and the tensioner makes a clacking sound. Another problem is that the tensioner almost totally blocks the timing marks from view. I recently got a UPR delete pulley and I picked up a new belt today.

Mrgreen94gt said:
With the short belt, my tensioner is at the ragged edge of working and the belt slips ever so slightly and the tensioner makes a clacking sound. Another problem is that the tensioner almost totally blocks the timing marks from view. I recently got a UPR delete pulley and I picked up a new belt today.
UPR=Great quality part. I honestly think it is one of the nicer done ones out there and it looks great too with the polished finish and holes in the pulley. I personally never had the problem with my belt stretching because I went directly to the delete kit, but I have read where plenty of people had that problem, and like said above, two stretching belts costs about as much as the delete kit, and you don't need to even buy a new belt. Another thing to think about is with the delete kit, you don't have to remember a certain belt length, you can just go to any parts store and have them get you a stock belt.