Spark gap causing rich condition?

Can too low of a spark plug gap cause my car to run too rich? My shop lowered the gap (i don't know why) and now it's dumping fuel like crazy w/ and w/o the chip. It left the shop with a new O/R h-pipe and a IAC as well. I haven't had a chance yet to pull one of the plugs to see exactly where it's gapped at. The TPS is reading around .96-.97. Also, is there any way to check if the wiring to the IAC is functioning?

• Sponsors (?)

the OR pipe will cause the exhaust to smell like fuel....I punched my cats and there was a huge difference is smell... too small of a gap can lead to a little extra unburnt fuel simply because it is a shorter flame...just my 2 cents...

Well, I expected some smell from the O/R but I don't think this is normal. I'm adjusting my idle and tps right now and as I let it idle for a minute, my eyes are really burning and as I look in the sun, you can tell that there is a huge cloud of something emitting from my garage.

Another thing is my gas mileage. Before and after my chip, I was getting around 16 mpg on the highway. I took out the chip the other day (there was a prob with the program) an expected the same driveability issues I had before the chip. But I also remembered the MPG's I was getting before I had the chip, so I expected around 16mpg. Well, I filled up before my trip and filled up as soon as I got back. I dropped from 16mpg to 10mpg on highway going only 60-65mph the whole way!

What is your FP set at? Also are your O2 sensors good?...did they reinstall/connect them? Rest the TPS to .97v, recheck the timing, and you may want to verify that all the plug wires and connected correctly...a loose wire could cause a cylinder to not "burn"...how is your idle?

Is the EGR working? It will lean you out a little but if it fails you will run rich, that kind on gas milage sounds like bad O2's, bad plugs/tune up. I get 25 MPG with my mods on the highway doing 70. Set The tps to .95V....trick the computer into thing less air is entering the engine thus giving it less gas, of course the comuter will try and compensate a little.