SPEC Clutchs for our 2.3L Turbo

MSM0075

May 13, 2003
Central Jersey
I'm looking into getting a SPEC clutch for my '88 Turbocharged Mustang. I've heard nothing about good things with SPEC clutches from the 5.0 guys. I really want to go Stage III to be ready for my future mods but I'm afraid its going to be a bit too much for the daily use. So that would lead me down to a Stage II then, Well I heard that SPEC Stage II clutches in our turbo 2.3's aren't that great. Spec Stage I would be a decent stock replacment and thats a bit too low for the future. What do you guys reccomend? Any of you have SPEC Clutches installed? Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,
Michael

• Sponsors (?)

(Could be wrong here) Its my understanding that the clutch is based more so on the Transmision, and not so much on the engine, IE, you get a clutch for a 5.0 T5 and it "SHOULD" work in a 2.3 T5. :shrug: mabey somebody "In the Know" will chime in here and put me in my place...

No the 5liter clutch will not work on a 2.3. The 2.3 clutch is smaller in diameter. The 2.3 even uses a different "T5".

I have installed many Spec clutches without any problems. I would recomend a "Stage II" just because the Stage III is a little to much for street use. Besides unless you are running over 400hp you don't need it anyways.

Hold on. First off, nobody really recommends the stage II because its max torque capacity is like 325 ft-lbs. Keep in mind that a stock 2.3L Turbo produces upward of 250 ft-lbs, with some mods it would easily be over 300. Secondly, I've heard that some people have had problems with Stage II clutches shattering. Just go for a Stage III since it's not that much more and the max torque capacity is over 400 ft-lbs. Also I've heard the Stage III is still quite streetable.