Speedcal question

• Sponsors (?)

Screamin' Demon said:
Where do you install the speedcal for a 97 GT auto. I need to know for when the gears arrive so if anyone knows say so please. Is it something the installer boys do? Wheres the best place to get your gears istalled, thanks!

I didn't think the Speedcal worked for Automatic tranny applications. If it does, you can mount it inside the passenger kick panel (if this is where the computer is located) next to the computer itself.

well since its a pre 99 i was under the impression its the only way to fix the speedo. The hypertech chip doesnt for this year because of the speedo isnt like the new ones. Im getting the chip tho to firm up the shifts and the speed cal to correct my speedo :shrug:

Screamin' Demon said:
well since its a pre 99 i was under the impression its the only way to fix the speedo. The hypertech chip doesnt for this year because of the speedo isnt like the new ones. Im getting the chip tho to firm up the shifts and the speed cal to correct my speedo :shrug:

Hmmm.... I would think that whomever you ordered the speedcal from, wouldn't have sold it to you if it didn't work for your application. You are just the 1st person I've seen post w/ an Auto tranny asking about a speedcal install :shrug: I thought that the autos only required a new speedo gear...

I'm probably wrong, though :D If so, just mount the speedcal box right next to the computer. I think ya need to since there's a wire splice required.

Screamin' Demon said:
just looked on the site i ordered from and it IS a speedo GEAR 23 tooth to be exact which says its need for all pre 98 stangs. The only thing is where does this sucker go?

Ok, so you didn't buy a speedcal...you bought the 23-tooth speedo gear, right? As for install, I'm not really sure. I've heard it's a simple swap, though :shrug: I'm sure someone here will know how to install it if you run into trouble. Good Luck!

For the pre-99 automatics, a SpeedCal will work very nicely. The 23-tooth gear may shred (teeth are very fine/thin). The SpeedCal will allow you to correct the speedo/odo accurately for new gears and/or new wheels and tires. Installation is pretty easy, too -- factory-like sockets are provided, you just swap a couple of wires, connect it to a handy power source (cigarette lighter), set some DIP switches, and, voila! I have mine stowed inside the console, right of the shifter and near the passenger's knee.

Screamin' Demon said:
Where do you install the speedcal for a 97 GT auto. I need to know for when the gears arrive so if anyone knows say so please. Is it something the installer boys do? Wheres the best place to get your gears istalled, thanks!

Get the SpeedCal bro. I have a 98GT AT that's the only way to get an ACCURATE reading on your speedo. Without the SpeedCal you'll be anywhere from 6 to 18 miles off (gap progresses as your speed does). DO NOT get the little white plastic piece of crap gear. It will shred in less than a year.

The install for the Speed cal is pretty easy. Follow the directions it comes with, couldn't be any easier. Here are some helpful tips.

You don't have to pull your center console all the way out. Take out the couple screws by the stereo, I think under the cup holder and a few inside the center compartment. After you pull the screws out and unsnap the four snap deals by the shifter. Be careful, I broke one :rolleyes: Once you got that stuff out of the way pull it back as far as you can. Unbolt the four bolts on the MAIN steel plate on the bottom. There is no easier way to do it, trust me I tried. Whatever you do, DO NOT try and take the shifter handle off. I tried and got my tranny locked out of 1st and Park. Don't ask how.....

Once you take out the bolts that secure the shifter in place you can move the entire assembly far enough to the right side to see the ground. I cut a small notch in the body below the plate so it wouldn't crush the wires.

The rest is as the directions instruct. The SpeedCal itself fits snuggly to the left in front of the shifter. I used some velcro to secure it in place.

This is my story, do what you will with it.

Good Luck :nice: