Speedo way to slow

trakker

Jan 30, 2009
I just bought a 97, v6 with a 5 speed and a 2.73 rear, or at least I think is is as that is what is on the vin plate.
Funny thing is the speedometer and the odometer are off by 10 percent to the slow side.

I found out about the speedometer by going by one of those signs that says your speed is:. So I am doing 65 on the and the sign says I am doing 72. I figured it was wrong, so after a few more of those signs, at different speeds, it is basically off 10%. I also did a milage tracking on a mile marked state highway. For each mile I go, the odometer only goes 9 tenths. I measured a 10 mile stretch and my odometer only went 9 miles. I check the RPM's against a chart that I found and I am right where it says I should be for the speed and the rear combination.

So I am smart guy, or at least I think so and I do my research. The Ford books and a couple of posts say I should have an 18 tooth yellow gear in my 5 speed. So I go out and buy one. When I take the speedo cable off to put it in I already have a yellow 18 tooth gear, which I think is the lowest one made. Oh and yes I have a set of 205 65 15 tires on it, the stock size.

Can anybody tell me how I can figure out how to get the speedo correct. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)