Speedometer stopped working after several years using SpeedCal

Timin

Founding Member
Jul 23, 2001
Houston
I have had the Speedcal on my 98 GT since my gear install around 2002. The Speedometer stopped working about a year ago all of the sudden along with the Odometer, the rest of the cluster works including the Tach/RPM's. I got the codes scanned and it was throwing the P0500 code when the Check Engine light came on.

I got under the car and all of the connections seemed to be hooked up just the same as they were when we first installed it. I pulled out the VSS and the Speedo Gear seemed to be in good shape, so I ended up replacing the VSS.

After the initial start up the RPM's/Tach were not reading while I let the car heat up (both needles were sitting at 0,) but once I started driving around the Speedometer and Tach both began working. I drove the car a short distance and parked it, and ever since the Speedometer has not read at all.

The RPM's will still go up while driving, but the Odometer and trip meter no longer work. I do notice that the Tach/RPM needle seemed to be "glitching" a little, where you can see the needle go up and down maybe 100-300 RPM's at idle intermittantly, as if maybe there was something electrical causing that to happen.

My "hunch" is that it is a short or something electrical since the Speedometer actually began working for that one drive.

-Karl

• Sponsors (?)