Spintech Side Exit System

I am seriously contemplating the Spintech Side Exit System part# SX61000. I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinions of this system especially the mufflers. I have a connection that can get it shipped to me for $393. Which seems like a pretty good deal or maybe I am kidding myself. All reply's are greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I believe that Bob V. has some sort of spintech side exit system on his clone. I could be wrong, but his site is www.gt350clone.com

I read up on the spintech systems, and from what I hear, they sound pretty good. I heard that they will act fairly mild at lower rpms, but when you get on it, they'll REALLY howl.

So with the side exit system, if this is just a weekend car, go for it, but if you're going to be making daily runs in the car, I would think twice. Not only would more fumes be going into the car, but the noise would be pretty incredible.

As far as them droning, I'm not sure, but they are chambered, so I'm sure they would drone. Probably not as much as the flows though.

I know this is all opinionated, but no one else responded, so I thought i'd give you atleast something...

I think he already pointed out the fumes issue, if you are sitting in traffic/at lights it can flow up/in.

As for side exhaust the one thing I really hate about it is that if you are standing on one side of the car ... sounds like a 4cyl.

I've got them on my car. I don't notice a problem with fumes at all. They are loud, but not too loud (hard to describe).

They come in a couple of varieties, and if you call Spintech, they compare the 2 choices to a 2 and 3 chamber flowmaster.

I went with the quieter of the 2 choices (the one like a 3 chamber), and I'm glad I did. As I said, they are loud.

And yes, they drone. But I've got a big cam, so it doesn't grate on me (more like a blap blap blap blap sort of drone :) ). Plus my car is not a daily driver.

GT2K said:
I think he already pointed out the fumes issue, if you are sitting in traffic/at lights it can flow up/in.

As for side exhaust the one thing I really hate about it is that if you are standing on one side of the car ... sounds like a 4cyl.

It only sounds that way if you don't put in H or x crossover pipe. You wouldn't mistake mine for a 4 cylinder. ;)

The only neg. I have is they don't work with the TCP Subframe center X portion.

They're pretty loud in traffic because the sound bounces off of the car next to you!

I love the look on everyone's faces as you go by though :nice:

mdjay said:
The only neg. I have is they don't work with the TCP Subframe center X portion.

Jay,

I thought Unique Performance was running the Spintechs and TCP X-frame connect with no problems?? I was considering running this setup too, is there something I should know about a particular setup from Spintech that won't work? :flag:

CustomFastback said:
Jay,

I thought Unique Performance was running the Spintechs and TCP X-frame connect with no problems?? I was considering running this setup too, is there something I should know about a particular setup from Spintech that won't work? :flag:

My exit pipes supplied by spintech are notched to clear standard straight subframe connectors (although I don't have any, so I cannot comment on fit).

It's true though, that since the header pipes hit the front of the muffler, and then exit back out the front, I don't see how you could ever run an x-brace setup, unless you got really wicked with you exhaust routing and tucked the pipes up with the drive shaft in the tunnel.

EDIT: I would call TCP though, to verify that.

Here is a pic of UPs setup. They run there exit tubes through the rear of the car as explained here: http://customfastbackca.com/UPexhaust.htm . Obviously most people don't have this setup but I just wanted to show it can be done.

Attachments

• performance7.jpg
    performance7.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 2,579
Hey David

They're using their own exit tube from the muffler out and the mods you are already aware of. Their kit is designed around it so there may be other slight differences.

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just sayin' it isn't bolt on! With the Dr Gas kit, one of the tcp cross braces runs right in front of the exit pipe of the muffler. So you would have to move it back a little and take a tight turn out! Tough for mandrel bends, but probably not impossible.

Personally, I would nix the TCP center brace and run Maier or Global West subframe connector. Except for the cool factor of a side exhaust (which gets a big thumbs up from me), the big advantage of a side exhaust is freeing up space for a panhard bar and/or fuel system.

$0.02

Don't underestimate the loudness of the louder mufflers from Spintech. I do not have the side exhaust, just the standard muffler out the back. This setup is with the louder of the Spintech mufflers, Dr Gas X, and only an e-cam. It is deafening at freeway speeds. I ordered the quieter of the mufflers I thought, but M-Plus screwed up the order and shipped me the loud ones. I didn't notice until I had them installed and they would not take them back. I love the sound (not the volume), but I will probably replace them with a new set of quieter Spintechs, and take advantage of the side exhaust to make room for the watts link and fuel cell.

spintech side exhaust

Well hear is my opinion, the sound is great, I have had a 65 Mustang with a 302 and it had a custom H-pipe with 2 chamber Flow Master and dumps, the sound was way to loud the mufflers would resonate from the ground threw the interior of the car drove me nuts…. Did not care for that sound.. So that is why on my current 66 Mustang I went with Spin Tech side Exhaust, I love the sound, at idle the sound is mild and when compared to Flow Master quite; “you can actually have a conversation with the passenger”… I had to have a Muffler Shop do the entire exhaust system custom, I went with a 2.5” H-pipe and used the 333 SCS side muffler. The reason I went with a H-pipe is that Spin Tech is a free flowing muffler I needed some type of back pressure, the car is a street car and I don’t anticipate having more than 500 hp therefore don’t really need a X-pipe. At the moment the car has a 1989 5.0 with a T-5.. I must say I have not had the opportunity to drive on free-way yet and open her up; the car is under construction and waiting from Boyd Coddington some 17 X 8” Smoothies II to slap on…I ended up paying around $500 for the entire muffler setup…

spin tech

One more thing I had to go with the side exhaust; due to my electronic fuel pump for the fuel injectors is mounted where the mufflers would had come out of... But glad I did. thanks