Squeaking when shifting fast at ~4k & up

license2ill

May 7, 2003
Hey what's up guys! It's been a while since I've posted as I have been working up in MN this summer and I have not had access to the internet let alone a computer for these past few months. So anyways, here's my question to y'all: When I shift between gears 2-3 and 3-4 relatively fast (no powershifting or any stupid-a$$ crap like that BTW) I have recently begun to hear a little squeaking noise emitting between the shifts. From where the squeaking sound is coming from I don't know and I haven't been able to pinpoint it down yet. I'm thinking that it might be one of three things... 1.) Throwout Bearing, 2.) Transmission Syncro Gears, or 3.) Something in the Rear-End / Rear Differential. My guess is that it's something to do with the clutch (throwout bearing) as it's been squeaking in a very similar manner (still relatively quiet) for the past one and a half months now whenever my foot is not on the clutch like when I'm at a stop and the car is in Neutral. I usually just tap the free-travel zone on the clutch and the squeaking usually stops right there. I'm pretty sure that it's the throwout bearing for the above said symptoms and I am thinking that it might be the same culprit for the squeaking noise between shifts. So what do y'all think?? Thanks in advance for any responses!! -JJ

BTW - My Stang is a 2000 GT w/ a T-45 tranny and has approximately 48k miles on the clock right now.

• Sponsors (?)

umm well i'm not an expert man but i've kinda been having the same problem with my car.....i have an 02 gt with 7k miles and i've noticed kind of a sqeaking sound....mine however is when i shift hard....from 2nd-3rd mainly....sound to me like its comming from the rear end tho....not sure what the fix is but i would also like to hear the answer to this question.

Edge

Mine does this too especially in a 2-3 shift at 4k+. I am almost positive it is the belt slipping on mine. However I cannot say this is your problem too since I haven't heard yours in real life or anything.

Hmmmm... Seems like everybody thinks it's the belt slipping. Funny because that was actually the very first theory I had when the noise started about a month and a half ago. The belt on my car is still in excellent shape with absolutely no wear whatsoever or anything like that to it and since the noise is pretty subtle and only lasts for like a quarter of a second and doesn't seem to hinder performance at all, I'll just forget about it then I guess. Once again thanks to everyone who responded, I appreciate it! -JJ
:nice:

license2ill said:
Hmmmm... Seems like everybody thinks it's the belt slipping. Funny because that was actually the very first theory I had when the noise started about a month and a half ago. The belt on my car is still in excellent shape with absolutely no wear whatsoever or anything like that to it and since the noise is pretty subtle and only lasts for like a quarter of a second and doesn't seem to hinder performance at all, I'll just forget about it then I guess. Once again thanks to everyone who responded, I appreciate it! -JJ
:nice:

just because it's visually OK doesn't mean it's still has optimal wear. Change for a $25 goodyear gatorback serpentine belt and be done with it.

KaPPaBaLL... 25 dollars for a Goodyear serpentine sounds good. I think I know what I'll be doing now this weekend!

propellerhead... Nice sig man. 1 of 8 mill plus, LOL!

zkiller18... I notice that you've got the Flowmaster A/T cat-back. What kind of mid-pipe would you be choosing if you were to buy one? Personally I've heard that the Flowmaster A/T cat-back goes great with the Mac ProChamber.:drool:

thats good to know cuz my gt did it too when i powershifted....i always thought it was the clutch slipping. now that i put a king cobra clutch in it, it got worse and i know there is no way in hell my clutch is slipping so it has to be the belt like everyone else sais...thanx it was realy starting to bother me :flag:

zkiller18 said:
Im gonna save and get LTs and an O/R midpipe. dont know which kind though.
Very cool man. I've got a UPR off-road x-pipe myself. That and a pair of "Flo~Pro" mufflers (cheap Flowmaster knock-offs) and the car is really freakin loud now. Whenever I gun it under a bridge or especially inside a tunnel, I get that whole end-of-the-world sound going on all around me! :D

license2ill said:
Very cool man. I've got a UPR off-road x-pipe myself. That and a pair of "Flo~Pro" mufflers (cheap Flowmaster knock-offs) and the car is really freakin loud now. Whenever I gun it under a bridge or especially inside a tunnel, I get that whole end-of-the-world sound going on all around me! :D

don't we all love it. :D