Stage 1 cams, VT or Comp Cams

HoustonGT

Gilded Gelding
Apr 6, 2003
Houston
Hey guys. Im looking at getting a set of Stage 1 cams for the GT as soon as i return from OCS in August. I have it narrowed down to either the VT Stage 1 cams or the Comp Cams 262's, which are both mild street cams. Are there any obvious advantages to either or should i just go for whichever has a better price? Im under the impression that i won't need to upgrade the springs or retainers with either cams? Advice?
The Comp Cams 262's are only $499 shipped and the VT Cams are $607, so the price is pretty significant. Thanks in advance Stangnet :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

VT hands down :D

i'll expoound on that a lil for ya. i made 280rwhp & 307rwtq before the blower. now after the blower is where it gets interesting, these cams (which are stage 1 n/a grind) do exceptionally well with my Novi. i'm making 441rwhp with only 8lbs of boost. so yeah, i'm a fan of these cams :nice:

stangman said:
VT hands down :D

i'll expoound on that a lil for ya. i made 280rwhp & 307rwtq before the blower. now after the blower is where it gets interesting, these cams (which are stage 1 n/a grind) do exceptionally well with my Novi. i'm making 441rwhp with only 8lbs of boost. so yeah, i'm a fan of these cams :nice:

Dizzam :eek: lol. What mods did you have when you hit 280? That seems sort of low for a cammed GT

HoustonGT said:
Dizzam :eek: lol. What mods did you have when you hit 280? That seems sort of low for a cammed GT

everything in my garage minus the novi, 42lb injectors, focus pump, & KB BAP, then add the mac 85mm straight shot & my stock 21lb injectors. i believe the straight shot was actually ALOT of the problem. tim had to tune around it because it jacked with my a/f constantly. i have no doubt that had i had a regular cold air, or even the straight shot with the stock maf, the numbers would have been higher.

CobraM23 said:
You going to OCS in Quantico? 10 weeks straight or the two 6 week program? I graduated OCS in '03. Still havent been commissioned yet.
Oh snap. Another PLC'er? I leave for my first 6 week ocs session this summer. Are you Aviation, Law or Ground?

Also, why did you choose the VT cams over Comp Cams and any other company?

my vote goes with vt but with enlisted pay i'm gonna end up getting the comps when i suck it up and buy heads and cams for my 97.

houstongt are you going aviation, do you want to go jet or helos, i work flight e at hmx-1 here in quantico. so let me know if you need anything after all its my job.

Semper FI

Kronos said:
my vote goes with vt but with enlisted pay i'm gonna end up getting the comps when i suck it up and buy heads and cams for my 97.

houstongt are you going aviation, do you want to go jet or helos, i work flight e at hmx-1 here in quantico. so let me know if you need anything after all its my job.

Semper FI
I definitely wanna go jets and hopefully end up in the F/A-18 but its a long way to go. Still got college and OCS to complete, then TBS and after that Primary flight. I'm just worried about Selection day after Primary flight to see if i get jets,props, or helos.

you gotta be pretty much **** hot to get on f/a-18's how is your eyesight cause i think that is a big deciding factor to get on the 18's i only really have dealt with helos and helo aviators so i don't know that much about the jet side it takes a long time to finish all of the training but its worth it.

If you want to do commercial avation after id stay away from fighters and move to cargo or props. You will get so much more flying time then fighters do. If you plan on doing this as a career then go for fighters then.

Kronos said:
you gotta be pretty much **** hot to get on f/a-18's how is your eyesight cause i think that is a big deciding factor to get on the 18's i only really have dealt with helos and helo aviators so i don't know that much about the jet side it takes a long time to finish all of the training but its worth it.
Right now i got 20/15 vision :D . Hopefully after all this crappy computer and reading crap in college, itll still be the same or at the worst 20/20

- Yea im doing this for the full 20+ if i get jets, so im not too worried about later on. If i get props or helos, i'll do a bit active and the rest reserve