Stalling issues.... Tune or something else?

GTA_V6_Mustang

Nov 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Ok well I have been having this issue with the stang for a while. I am pretty sure its related to obvious engine mods H/C/I but am curious if a proper tune will help it or not. With the A/C on it will just turn off sometimes. Like I will turn the car on and let it warm up and if I turn the a/c on it will idle fine for a bit then the idle will start to fluctuate and it will eventually turn off. And if I am driving and am using the a/c I will come to a stop sometimes and it will just turn off when I come to a stop with no warning. But if the A/C is off I can drive it all day long no problems. Beat the living crap out of it no problem and idle it forever no problem. I do have a diablosport chip with an off the shelf tune for my cam specs and so forth. But do you think with a proper dyno tune they may be able to take care of this issue for good. Last time I had it on the dyno we actually checked A/f while it was doing the idle fluctuation before it cuts off and it would go from 9:1 idleing like real low up to 18:1 idleing smooth then down to 9:1 and idle goes str8 down and back and forth till it dies. Is there anything I could do either then tune it to fix this?

• Sponsors (?)

Ok well I have been having this issue with the stang for a while. I am pretty sure its related to obvious engine mods H/C/I but am curious if a proper tune will help it or not. With the A/C on it will just turn off sometimes. Like I will turn the car on and let it warm up and if I turn the a/c on it will idle fine for a bit then the idle will start to fluctuate and it will eventually turn off. And if I am driving and am using the a/c I will come to a stop sometimes and it will just turn off when I come to a stop with no warning. But if the A/C is off I can drive it all day long no problems. Beat the living crap out of it no problem and idle it forever no problem. I do have a diablosport chip with an off the shelf tune for my cam specs and so forth. But do you think with a proper dyno tune they may be able to take care of this issue for good. Last time I had it on the dyno we actually checked A/f while it was doing the idle fluctuation before it cuts off and it would go from 9:1 idleing like real low up to 18:1 idleing smooth then down to 9:1 and idle goes str8 down and back and forth till it dies. Is there anything I could do either then tune it to fix this?

How is the A/C working otherwise? A failing compressor could be adding so much drag that it is stalling the engine. Not saying it isn't a tuning issue but it could have a different source for the problem. I believe the swing in the AFR is probably normal in closed loop with a fluctuating idle as the EMS tries to stabilize the idle speed.

How is the A/C working otherwise? A failing compressor could be adding so much drag that it is stalling the engine. Not saying it isn't a tuning issue but it could have a different source for the problem. I believe the swing in the AFR is probably normal in closed loop with a fluctuating idle as the EMS tries to stabilize the idle speed.

Naa the a/c works great. Besides the car itself has barely 30k miles on it so I doubt there is any component that is a problem.

How is the cold idle? Can you tell if your IAC is functioning properly (knowing if it functions as a choke can help one infer if it is functioning for the AC and dashpot).

How is the cold idle? Can you tell if your IAC is functioning properly (knowing if it functions as a choke can help one infer if it is functioning for the AC and dashpot).

Well the car idles great all around. It only acts up with the A/c on. When I turn the a/c on the idle reacts accordingly adjusting itself but it will just suddenly start to surge then shut off. Or as I am driving it will just shut off sometimes when coming to a stop.

ok well update. I used the smoke machine that we use to find EVAP system leak which works great to find vacuum leaks also and I had a vacuum leak through the actual tps shaft so i ended up putting an o-ring on the tps and tested it again no leak. But dont know if that fixed the idle problem with the a/c but it is idleing much better even with the cam and all. When it warms up again I will see what happens.