Starter Heat Soaking...Anyone have this problem?

go-stang5.0

Jan 27, 2003
Glenview,Il
Well, I think my starter is heat soaking. I went in for my emissions testing yesterday and as I was waiting in line i guess my starter heated up. When I pulled in by the dyno and they shut off my car it didnt want to crank over (it cranked over but very, very slow). So they pushed me out of the booth and I let the car sit for about 5 min. Then it started right up. I drove home and when I pulled into my driveway and turned it on and off. it started right up several times, with no problem. When the car is hot I have noticed it doesnt want to crank over as fast as when everything is cold and I always wondered what it could be but never really figured it out. I run a 2.5 in bassani x-pipe and a DSS 7qt oil pan and so I think that the starter does not have adequate space from these components to stay cool...Does this sound right to any of you guyz. ANd/or has anyone had this same problem. Normally its not a big thing, but I dont want to stall my car in rush hour traffic and not be able to start it for 5 min. That would be a bad thing. If anyone has any other ideas let me know also. All info is greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Starters a couple of months old....I replaced it recently because I thought it went south when it was actually the ring gear on my flywheel. Its a reman. from Bosch. But I was having this same problem with my stock starter too and before I relocated the battery. I got a DEI versa shield (it's a fiberglass/aluminum heat shield mat that you wrap around the starter) hopefully it works. I really need to get my headers coated in something, underhood temps are crazy hot.

Nope no long tubes but equal length shorties, and 2.5 in bassani x pipe w/ high flow cats. Dunno if the bends/routing is different than your off road stuff. Anyways, I had the same problem today. I drove like 40mi. today non stop bumper to bumper and when I got to my friends house and killed the car it didnt want to start again. Waited about 5-10 min. with the hood open and the starter cranked over fast enough that with a little nudge from the gas pedal it fired up. I'm gonna install the DEI heat shield wrap early next week and see if it helps. I'll keep you guyz posted on what happens (mostly for raven69david) since he seems to be interested in my problem for some reason.

hey bud, i have this problem too. i have gone through a few starters (3+) and it sucks ass. i have mac equal lengths shorties, o/r h pipe, flows and a frpp 302 crate motor rated at 340bhp with all the bolt-ons and a d&d 6-speed with afm super king cobra clutch and afm aluminum flywheel. i have had my car for just over 4 1/2 yrs and i just might have bad luck with the starters that i have got. i will try an expensive one next time, like in a month because this one is just about gone... i think its due to heat soak also. i know people out there may not believe that i have had these problems but i have and its a bummer, especially when the only thing to do is bump start your car by yourself! now that is a really crappy situation, these cars are not light. good luck with that heat shield you are trying, it seems like a solid idea with the problems you have been having.

just incase you were wondering, i drive the hell out of my car and its no wonder that problems like these have been happening. when i drive my car from boston to pittsburgh for college i drive it hard and fast the whole way, i do the whole trip 606miles in under 9 1/2hrs with stops and traffic. i have averaged around 97mph and with my new viper spec 6-speed i have got over 21gph. now these numbers tax the hell out of the parts i have on my car and that is my reasoning for all of the starters that i have had to replace.
for me, speed always ='s $ and i think its the same for everyone else on stangnet.

fawcett