starting problems

SonicCoupe

Apr 16, 2005
Okay this one is interesting...

When I start my 87 LX Coupe 5.0 it will turn over but the starter keeps spinning like its still trying to start the car. I can take the key out of the ignition and it still keeps going until I pull the battery cable.

Now I just got this Mustang yesterday and today I have replaced the starter, starter relay, and the ignition switch. After I did all that I was able to start the car, turn it off then start it again and drive home. I got home turned off the car then tried to restart it and I am once again having the same problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated at this point.

• Sponsors (?)

i remeber when i had a 2.3l it did that.When the problem was fixed my mechanic told me it was an electrical problem and its not the starter. I will talk to my mechanic tomorrow and find out what the problem is.

2.3l driver said:
i remeber when i had a 2.3l it did that.When the problem was fixed my mechanic told me it was an electrical problem and its not the starter. I will talk to my mechanic tomorrow and find out what the problem is.

Thanks! I'd really appreciate any help you could give. Just let me know.

WHen this happens, what happens if you remove the slide-on connector on the top of the starter solenoid? If the starter stops cranking, you have a hung-up starter interlock circuit (i would head to the ignition switch and look for burned wires/connections).

If the starter keeps on going, that suggests the solenoid is indeed bad.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
WHen this happens, what happens if you remove the slide-on connector on the top of the starter solenoid? If the starter stops cranking, you have a hung-up starter interlock circuit (i would head to the ignition switch and look for burned wires/connections).

If the starter keeps on going, that suggests the solenoid is indeed bad.

Good luck.

Well I am guessing it may be the wires then because the solenoid is brand new.

Any idea as to where I can get a new set of wires or is that all part of the engine harness?

I would not make that assumption - many a person has gotten a bad solenoid right out of the box.

One could run new wire by hand for the starter interlock, but I would want to know the solenoid is not at fault.

If you disconnect the slide-on wire and put a test light on it, it should show 12 volts only while cranking. If that happens, that suggests all that wiring is fine.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
I would not make that assumption - many a person has gotten a bad solenoid right out of the box.

One could run new wire by hand for the starter interlock, but I would want to know the solenoid is not at fault.

If you disconnect the slide-on wire and put a test light on it, it should show 12 volts only while cranking. If that happens, that suggests all that wiring is fine.

Good luck.

Thanks I'll check that tomorrow

HISSIN50 said:
That does not surprise me. Many a folk has gotten a bad one right out of the box.

Good luck.

Yeah I am thinking this also...I'm going to yank the starter off tomorrow and replace it under the 1 year warranty that I have on the one I bought yesterday.