Starting system issues Relay???

Traitor5150

Jan 26, 2004
Ok here is the problem. When I first got my car 94 gt it needed a starter so I put a reman in it. Now about a year and a half later my car only starts if i play with the ignition and turn the key several times untill it finnialy cranks. Not it doest work at all. So i figured my starter was bad. So i pulled it apart cleaned and checked everything then replaced the seloniod and tested it working fine. Put it back in the car and nothing but it does crank if i ground the seloniod. So it must be the starter relay or ignition switch. So my main question is where is the starter relay??? i dont think it is the the drivers side engine fusebox because i tested the 3 in there and the Haynes manual doesnt say where it is.

• Sponsors (?)

The solenoid is piggybacked on the starter itself.

What are you grounding to make it start?

Does your starter interlock circuit provide 12 volts to the solenoid?

Good luck.

There is a main power wire positive from the battery that goes to one side of the seloniod and the other post feeds the starter. If i ground the small 14 ga wire that activates the starter on the seloniod it cranks.

try running a better ground wire for it.

if you just wanna test for a bad ground a quick test is take a jumper cable. connect it to the neg batt terminal. then connect the other end to one of the starter bolts. if it cranks right over you found your problem

Him wiggling the key = ignition switch.....Take it apart and clean the contacts if you can. If you don't feel comfortable with it, just get a new one. Usually they have 2 or 4 tabs that are bent over to keep the shell on, and opening these tabs at the bottom that allow the ignition cylinder to slide out.

Usually the contacts are dirty/rusted/loose and all it needs is a cleaning and minor adjustments.
Scott

It could very well be the starter or the tumbler, but when mine did this... it was the ignition switch. I bought a replacement and kept fighting the problem. Turned out my replacement was made wrong as well and the contacts didn't meet up. Took it back and got yet another one and all is well. To test mine I dropped the ignition switch down and used plyers to push the metal pin down. The spring is TIGHT on a new switch. :)

Good Luck...