steering column removal

• Sponsors (?)

Not true at all. There is a rag joint that connects the steering colum to the steering box. You can seperate the 2 components at the rag joint.

The collapsable steering colums (like in my '70) have a 2 piece D-shaft that can be seperated as well (1 part stays connected to the steering box, the other part stays connected to the colum.

I beg to differ. My ’67 is an early model and used a non-collapsible column that seems to be a leftover ’66 piece. Therefore the column is attached to the box.

I ended up sawing it off when I switched to a rack & Pinion.

For people wanting to remove the column, I believe that it has to come out the bottom. I hope you don't have headers, otherwise they too will have to come off.

That is only true IF the car has a rag joint. Some of them had a solid shaft that went all the way through to the steering box. The steering box has to come out with the shaft or you can cut the shaft, shorten it and put a u-joint in place. A U-joint will give you much better road feel then a rag joint will.

That is only true IF the car has a rag joint. Some of them had a solid shaft that went all the way through to the steering box. The steering box has to come out with the shaft or you can cut the shaft, shorten it and put a u-joint in place. A U-joint will give you much better road feel then a rag joint will.

Hmmm, some of the earlier cars didn't have a rag joint... learn something new every day. Thanks.