Steering Wheel Shake

03Stangr

Oct 14, 2007
Hello all,
Please help me figure this out, it's horrible and I'm afraid if I don't figure it out soon other stuff may brake and I'm on disability right now due to bad accident. so financially it's not good...
nuerosurgeon is going to operate again.
2003 Mustang V6 Convertible that I love - even the ford mechanic thought I had a V8 in it until he opened the hood:D due it's performance/cool exaust tones... anyway... back to the subject...I'm sorry...

I have almost new Hankooks all the way around and one is brand new that LesSchwab just replaced-no charge :). I took it to LesSchwab and they ended up saying that one of the tires was Separated? I don't really know what Separated means? Do you? Is it the belts separating? or something else in the tire. Being the cool folks they are, they replaced the one that they felt needed replaced at no charge. But guess what, it made the speed at which it happens move around a little but it's still there. I tried rotating the tires and no change at all there. I don't want to blow a bearing or some other part. Do I just take it back to them and say it's still happening. Geeez... this is confusing....
Please help ! My email is [email protected] if you'd rather give me advice there. Tires and wheel balancing /suspension other than changing shocks is a weak point for me. Engine,tuning,transmission,drivetrain is more up my line.
03stangr

• Sponsors (?)

I would take it back to them and have them check out the balance of each tire again. Sometimes the balancing weights can slip around or even fall off.

If the problem is not resolved with that you might need to invest in new tires for all wheels.

First of all, check your tire pressure on both front tires. That could be one of the causes of your steering wheel shaking. If that's not the case then do what katie said. Hope all goes well.

I know I'm in the wrong section, but I own a 2001 V6 Mustang too:nice: makes for a nice DD.

Take it back to the tire people and do the stuff mentioned above, but yu should also have the front end alignment checked. I have a shaking problem with another vehicle and it is because of front end problems. (Mine is because of a near total wreck) It only takes a bad pot hole to mess your alignment up.

Just a thought...

Another idea.... if you do not have a warranty through the place you were going to have the tires checked, you may want to go to a different place. I have found that if a place consistently misses things like tire pressure, balancing, or alignment issues the problem will never get resolved if you continue going to them. So in other words.... get a second opinion.

Several things: Are they the right size tires, have a good alignment, are the rims still true, and do you notice it all the time or only when you brake? If only during braking, check your rotors. If the car does it all the time and didn't before the new tires, something they did isn't done right and they need to honor their work. It will be tough to get them to take responsibility for anything, but not impossible. Stand your ground with them, you could have gone elsewhere to spend your money.

I have been a mechanic for over 30 years "thats before we became tech's" and my advice is to replace all four tires at once,same size same brand and your troubles will be gone.I also would recommend Bridgestone, Toyo,Yokahoma tires,just buy for your driving style and I think you will be happy with handling and the mileage you will get from a set.I hope this helps.

i used to work at discount tire. if you have a discount tire nearby, take it to them and tell them you want a tire inspection. it is free. a belt seperation is a defect in the tire. if you are experincing shaking in the steering wheel, the problem is with the front tires. if you are shaking in your seat, the problem lies within the rears. what tire pressure are you running? it should be around 34 in the front 35 in the rear.

Jake

See if you can find a local tire shop that has a road force balancer. Unlike a traditional spin balancer a road force has a drum that press down on the tire while it’s being balanced. If the operator knows how to use it properly they can check side wall integrity and all kinds of cool stuff. Some times brand new tires will vary in side wall stiffness. The result of this inconsistent stiffness is felt as a vibration, and it can even make a car pull to one side. I live in Pennsylvania and many shops don’t have these so you will have to ask. I used to work at a firestone dealer and it was not uncommon to find new tires out of spec when testing with the road force balancer on problem cars.