Still struggling with boost gauge

theconductor

15 Year Member
Aug 9, 2007
Roseville, CA
No one was able to help last week, but I'll try again....:(

I just installed a boost gauge and need some help as to where to cut in the boost/vacuum line. I currently have it cut into the vacuum line that comes off of the neck of my manifold and runs to the charcoal canister. It reads vacuum fine, but nothing on the boost side.

Any ideas? Where are you fox guys routing it?

Thanks,
Kyle

• Sponsors (?)

You can tap ANY of those lines that come from the bottom of your intake (assuming stock upper plenum). If your intake is aftermarket, tap one of the lines that feed from the manifold's main chamber (if at all possible).

A small tip: It's best to install and inline orifice in the line going to the gauge. The orifice should be roughly .050 in. (tiny drill bit). You can make one out of just about any metal or plastic plug that will fit INSIDE of the vac line going the gauge and is 1/4 in or so long. What this does is keeps your gauge from "bouncing" erratically from sudden changes and also prevents the gauge from "stealing" vac/boost pressures from other items if the line you happen to tap happens to be low in air volume for some reason.

Works great, lasts long time.

If your intake is aftermarket, tap one of the lines that feed from the manifold's main chamber (if at all possible).

A small tip: It's best to install and inline orifice in the line going to the gauge. The orifice should be roughly .050 in. (tiny drill bit). You can make one out of just about any metal or plastic plug that will fit INSIDE of the vac line going the gauge and is 1/4 in or so long. What this does is keeps your gauge from "bouncing" erratically from sudden changes and also prevents the gauge from "stealing" vac/boost pressures from other items if the line you happen to tap happens to be low in air volume for some reason.

Works great, lasts long time.

My intake is an older edelbrock. The line I'm using now comes right out of the neck just behind the throttle body flange.

I'm not sure I follow your tip. Are you saying I should find something that fits inside the line going to the gauge to plug it, but drill a tiny hole in it to allow just enough flow to/from the gauge?

I have ran mine off of the vacuum line for the FPR on this and my last car. I can't say that I have erratic guage readings either. Just t into that and should get boost readings no problem.

another note once you finally have the gauge plumbed, it's possible you won't see any boost at idle and think it's broken. Generally it's working as it should just that you won't see it build enough boost on the gauge untill you rev the engine high enough to build pressure. This usually happens on smaller blower apps 8lbs or less or if you have a larger engine.

My intake is an older edelbrock. The line I'm using now comes right out of the neck just behind the throttle body flange.

I'm not sure I follow your tip. Are you saying I should find something that fits inside the line going to the gauge to plug it, but drill a tiny hole in it to allow just enough flow to/from the gauge?

Sorry, didn't see this question but YES. The tiny hole allows more than enough volume to operate the gauge and helps to prevent any "wierdness" from other items that might otherwise 'lose' vacuum as the result of being plumbed in-line with the new gauge.

Just a preventive measure that's worked well for me in the past.