stock fan is in bad shape

ECU5.0

Banned
Jan 10, 2004
raleigh, nc
alright....everything is sitting fine in the engine bay....no bad motor mounts that my mechanic or i can tell....but when i bought the car it looked like the fan was cut on purpose....for whatever reason that may be....but after i looked at it more the fan actually sits about 2 inches lower in the fan shrowd than it is supposed to. i wanted to buy a new fan....but i cant because it wont fit in the shrowd....maybe its the wrong shrowd for the car or maybe my motor mounts are broken....help please....the smaller fan doesnt make the car run hot...but it runs hotter than i would like it to...thanks for any advice

• Sponsors (?)

to answer the question, i would bet that the mounts are bad. the fan sitting low, almost rubbing the shroud (or in your case worse), is a tell tale sign they went bad. they can look fine, but wear down/squish down, and let the motor sag.

i had the same dilemma (on a vert). i considered urethane bushings, but people said the motor may have even sat a smidge lower than with rubber mounts. since i had clearance issues, i chose mounts from the parts store (rubber vert mounts). do the trans mount while you are doing them. you can get all 3 with LLT for ~50 bucks, if you go the route i did. youre lookin at ~150 for urethane.

good luck.

sounds like sagging mounts. some new urethane mounts will set that engine up a little higher in the bay again. besides with old stock rubber mounts even if not separated from metal caseing plate cast into them can sag allowing the motor to sit lower raiseing the tailshaft of the transmission throwing off ujoint geometry cutting ujoint life 2, and possibley createing drivetrain vibrations 2.