STOCK intake

I am looking to stage 3 port and polish my STOCK upper and lower intake.. How much CFM do they flow stock and how much would the most be that i could get them to flow... I want the engine to look completly stock.. So, i was planing on stage 3 porting the STOCK heads as well... How much power do you think i could make by doing this... It will cost about 1000.. Or should i just forget about it and go buy some different heads and intake...

And information would be helpfull that you

• Sponsors (?)

I also want to keep a stock looking engine while adding a bit more performance. If I used a Tmoss lower, Thumper heads and everything else stock, would I gain or lose low end torque? I am not to concerned with top end, it is a street car. Would a 65mm tb and a 70mm maf work well with this combo?

Good info guys.. I been wondering about the stock junk.. I am planning on a thumpercombo.. Heads B cam and chain. But couldnt decide on what to go with on intake. I think u might of changed my mind. I have a 91 LX vert. Just put a art car AOD in it with a 3000 stall.. 2.73 gears now the next on the list is 4.10s then the combo.. AM i in the right ball park?

koss - that'll be a fun combo - I'd suggest one change and it's the cam. The B is just a dinosaur. See if Thumper can give you flow numbers on the port job - get an idea if the heads are gonna be intake or exhaust biased in terms of their flow. If they're intake biased like the stock heads are and if you're interested in something that will perk up the top like the B, but provide more on the bottom - I'd take a look at CompCams XE270 (I think that's the one - 218/224 I think). It's got MUCH steeper ramp rates than the B, so the valve open area under curve can be comparable with less duration.

89LX - I suspect you'll lose a bit - but not a noticeable amount, and probably only from idle to 1300-1500 rpm. tmoss can show you numbers of similarly set up cars - and while they can't start the dyno pulls that low, they're making great gobs of torque beginning down in the 1800-2000 range. With the stock cam you'll be fine.

89lxsport50 said:
If I used a Tmoss lower, Thumper heads and everything else stock, would I gain or lose low end torque? I am not to concerned with top end, it is a street car. Would a 65mm tb and a 70mm maf work well with this combo?

Go to the site linked in my signature for some dynos of cars with ported E7 heads and my lower. You should gain torque throughout the rpm band.

Edit - I added quite a bit of info on dynos and such to "my garage" too - click the link below my avatar.

koss1000 said:
Good info guys.. I been wondering about the stock junk.. I am planning on a thumpercombo.. Heads B cam and chain. But couldnt decide on what to go with on intake. I think u might of changed my mind. I have a 91 LX vert. Just put a art car AOD in it with a 3000 stall.. 2.73 gears now the next on the list is 4.10s then the combo.. AM i in the right ball park?

I agree with Mike about the cam. For intakes, you have a choice - ported stock lower with stock upper or a GT40/Cobra/Explorer intake. Since your 3,000 stall and 4:10 gears make up for the automatic and heavy car to a degree, you can run the Cobra style intake and get good street manners. Either will work well and price/availability may drive that decision. Go to the website in my sig, look around and email me from the link at the bottom of the page if you have any questions.

ucan - the Holley is HUGE for even Thumper's - you could make a better choice.

89lx - With a ported lower you can stick with a 60mm, but a 65mm might help a littel in either situation - each case stands on it';s own as there are many other factors that affect power. The stock upper TB hole is 63mm, so it's easy to open to 65mm. I recommend guys do that themselves if they can as shipping the upper is another $30-40 round trip.

Id say go with a Cobra intake, as you can get a used one very cheap! If you really want the stock look then look into a ported stock intake. I personally havent seen very many of them, and would love to see if they helped, more so track times then dyno numbers!

The B is a good cam if the intake phase is advanced!! If you install it at 103 ICL you will have tree pulling torque and still strong mid to top!! the TFS1 cams are working well also.. they are both inexpensive and pull hugh numbers!! Just a thought....

Just me........................

Thumper

Looks like it is going to take out most of Fl. good ole Jacksonville is the most western east coast city, and so far we have been lucky!! I guess well know for sure sat!! the dead line for the evac.!! man did you see all the traffic outa here??? 2.5 MILLION!!!!! Look out North... they are comming home!! LOL

Just me................ Waiting!!

Thumper