stock rear-end gears?

crazyidiot4.8

Aug 23, 2005
what gear comes in an 05 V6 auto? or does anyone know the option codes (if there was more than one option)? got a friend talked into doing gears in her car, just trying to convince her 4.10s would be better than 3.73s....

• Sponsors (?)

crazyidiot4.8 said:
what gear comes in an 05 V6 auto? or does anyone know the option codes (if there was more than one option)? got a friend talked into doing gears in her car, just trying to convince her 4.10s would be better than 3.73s....

3.31s. I'd go with 3.73.

Jimp said:
scrming has 4.10s and his trap speed is only 90mph! The gears are hurting his times. The V6 runs out of steam at higher rpms. JMHO, FWIW, YMMV.

yeah... I've got oversized tires (extra 1.5 inches tall)... which would be comparable to running a 3.88 with the stock tire size... 4.10 on a 27 inch (stock size) tire would be unbearable in my opinion....

scrming said:
yeah... I've got oversized tires (extra 1.5 inches tall)... which would be comparable to running a 3.88 with the stock tire size... 4.10 on a 27 inch (stock size) tire would be unbearable in my opinion....

Seems like the taller tires would make it like you had lower(numerically higher) gears. Like it would be 4.56 instead of 4.10. Maybe Jenn could chime in and set me straight. :shrug:

Jimp said:
http://www.chrismans.com/Calculators.html
Try this scrming. If your old tire diameter was 30" and the new diameter is 31.5"(1.5" bigger, don't know what size you have, just threw some numbers in), your gear ratio would be 4.31.

Ok, I just went out and measured my GT tires. They are 26". Pretty sure it's close to the same as the V6 tires because of the lower sidewall. When I plug in 26" as the old tire size and 27.5" as the new tire size and 4.10 as the gears, it comes up with 4.34 as the new ratio. Which is just what I figured. No wonder it feels so good around town! And it's no wonder you are running out of steam in the quarter!

I have to admit that I am not real good with gears, gear ratios, etc. There are a lot a different gear teeth types and each has a different characteristics.

I leave the gearing to the true gear heads. I can get the engineering basics, but the better option is ????

Thanks for having faith in me Jimp. I have said this before about me and gears. I wonder if I can take a college course on them for hands on experience.

ok... here's the bottom line... with my tires which are 28.5 inches tall at 75 to 80 MPH my RPMs are somewhere between 2750 and 3000... that's in 5th gear (OD).... if you have a smaller tire like the stock one (27 inches tall) it's going to put your RPM even higher... 80MPH your going to be over 3000RPM... to me thats' just too much... I make some long highway trips and I would want to have to cruise above 3000 for long... lol