Strange Sound in 1st & 2nd Gear

5o5speed

Aug 9, 2004
I have a 91 GT 5 speed. Recently it started making a slight scraping sound from the drivetrain only at low rpms in 1st and 2nd Gear. At first I thought it was my driveshaft scraping my mufflers but I checked the clearance and everyting was OK. I don't think its a transmission problem--the car never grinds a gear or anything--but who knows? Is there something else my driveshaft could be hitting? (It also makes this scraping noise from the transmission area whenever I hit bumps in the road). What could this be?

• Sponsors (?)

When you checked to see if the driveshaft was scraping, did u jack the car up or just crawl underneath? Reason i ask is because when you jack a car up, the suspension is in a different position, and naturally the driveshaft will be also. if you can jack the car up, the put jack stands under the rear axle, you can simulate the car being on the ground, check to see if the e-brake cable or mounting bracket has broke and started to rub the driveshaft. hope this helps.

Nick

ALMOSTFINISHED said:
When you checked to see if the driveshaft was scraping, did u jack the car up or just crawl underneath? Reason i ask is because when you jack a car up, the suspension is in a different position, and naturally the driveshaft will be also. if you can jack the car up, the put jack stands under the rear axle, you can simulate the car being on the ground, check to see if the e-brake cable or mounting bracket has broke and started to rub the driveshaft. hope this helps.

Nick

I'll try what you said. B4 when I've checked the car has been up on a lift. BTW--your Fox looks sweet.