Strong Surging under hard accel help please

fright88

Founding Member
Feb 12, 2001
Commerce City CO
Ok so for the past few months when in first gear under hard accel I get surging. Only in first gear it seams and hard accel. I have been told it is probably a fuel filter. I have the 01 Ford Manual but was wondering if there is any way to pull the filter without the fuel line disconnect tool. Or if anyone knows where I can buy one?

Also does this sound like a fuel filter problem? Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

The spring lock removal tool can be purchased at AutoZone or Checker. They're usually not more than $10. How many miles are on your car? I suppose it could be the filter. Can't hurt to change it.

fright88 said:
Miles are about 29k but has been parked more than driven for over a year. I'll have to try another autozone cause the 1st one I called didn't have it.

Have you tried resetting the computer yet? Fresh full tank of good gas? (Not 7-11) :p I'd still change the filter. I think the interval is around 30k.

-Kory

I had that same problem. I did a headswap at the same time that I changed the fuel filter, so I'm not SURE that the fuel filter change fixed it, but it doesn't hesitate under accel anymore.

I figured mine was fuel for sure because it wouldn't hesitate in until I'd had it floored through the second, floored gear. As in, not in first, but at high RPM in 2nd. Or not at all in 2nd, but at high RPM in 3rd. All while floored, of course. Does that sound familar at all?