Strut rod nut.How do you remove this?

MustangLX-5.0

Founding Member
Dec 2, 2000
Lehigh Acres Fla.
I recently bought a new set of struts for my '96.Blew out drivers side strut hitting a deep pothole a couple years ago.The new set doesn't come with the upper mounts.That is,the clamshell you see sticking through the strut tower.So,I need to remove them and re-mount them on the new set + a new clamshell bushing.I tore the old bushing trying to turn the center top nut (strut rod nut).I figured it would turn if I jacked the wheels off the ground.Well that didn't work.It still twists the rod....along with the bushing....rrrrriip.

Does anyone know a feasable method of removing that nut? It has a slot on the top of the strutrod but no hex edges except for the nut.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I have an electric impact lying around.I thought about using that.This going to work putting mounts on new struts without tearing new bushings,or,just turning the rod?

Sorry about all the Q's.But this is my only ride currently so I have to get this done in a day without running into other problems.

Thanks

As far as I know, it shoudn't tear the new bushings. As far as I know, that's the way it's done at shops universally. The factory rubber bushing probably has just seen better days after 12 years of engine and Florida heat. You may want to hit it with some sort of penetrating oil anyway, just in case it wants to be stubborn.

OT: Head over to Dockside on Fort Myers Beach and have a beer for me, would ya? This weather starting to get cold here in Chicagoland is driving me nuts. :)

Thanks man.As soon as I get my urethane bushings,the work starts.The ride feels like jello hitting bumps, so I wont be waiting around long.

I'll have to pass on Ft Myers Beach.Red Tide is back in full force and it REEKS BAD!! aint no way I'm smellin that sh**.Hurts my sinuses bad.I'll have a beer as soon as it clears up :).

You live down here or perhaps used to? Winter home maybe? Stop by for a week or so then have a beer :).

I know the cold.I lived in Michigan for 22 years.It's been awhile though....

Lived here in IL my entire 28 years. Had a chance to move down there back in 2005, but bailed on that idea last minute. Guess I'm meant to live in the cold, and vacation there instead.

To keep this tech... Just remember that you'll need to get an alignment after swapping the struts. Before you finish the work, now may be a good time to check out the balljoints and control arm bushings, too. It might be a worthwhile investment to swap in some new control arms, if the balljoints or bushings are bad. It might be more expensive to do so, but it's a lot less work. Summitracing has the 03-04 Cobra arms for $169.95, with new bushings and low-friction balljoints already installed. Link to the arms on Summit's site