Stupid mistake...

lol @ this thread.

First, toyman, of course Ford will tell you that. They don't want any liability from the car falling on someone. It's not dangerous to the car, it's dangerous to you and me! These rearends are designed to take a pretty good beating, they're not going to just magically "bend" from improper jacking. If that was the case, sudden elevation changes in the road surface would bend them. I've ran mine up on curves, hit nasty potholes and a host of other things, never bent an axle housing.

And second, If anyone is working under their cars with only a floor jack under it then you're stupid in the first place, regardless of the lift point you use. ALWAYS USE JACKSTANDS!

And for those with pretty low cars, here's a trick for ya. Whenever you want to lift your entire car off the ground, get two 2x4's and drive your rear tires up on them. Then jack the front up first then the rear from under the pumpkin. With the rear tires up on the 2x4's your jack will fit nicely underneath the bulky fuel tank!

Jacking the car up by the pumpkin - Ok to do with the use of jackstands. The only think you "might" do is bend the cover and cause a leak, which is an easy fix.

• Sponsors (?)

Exactley my thinking...
Originally Posted by revhead347
I always jack from the pumpkin too. I wouldn't worry about it. If it's not leaking, it's fine.

Kurt

+1

What is your alternative? Jack each side and twist the hell out of the unibody?

Anyway yes I did get it straightened out just fine, wasn't leaking or anything but things that aren't right bug me. Runs great as ever! Thanks for all of the input guys :) Oh and the drive it up on 2x4 idea is great! And if you don't use the pumpkin, where do you suggest jack points on a stang without like said above twisting your unibody? Again thanks much! Sometimes simple things like this need to be re-brought up to freshen up from thinking ahead to everything you're throwing under the hood and not break things on the way there...
<3 FoMoCo :flag:

Sometimes you can find those rubber pads that go on floor jacks to help protect whatever you're lifting. Or you can use a chunk of tire in between. If you are careful and distribute the weight evenly you won't have any issues using the pumpkin as a lifting point.