super victor EFI intake

I am looking into putting a procharger on my mustang and was looking into some possible intake upgrade choices as well. my question is about the RPM range given for the victor. 4500 to 9000 RPM. I have the F 303 cam and the RPM range for it is 3500 to 6500 but the car idles and drives fine on the street below that range. Will the same be true about the intake? This is mainly a drag strip project car but, I need to be able to drive it there and back, if I dont brake it at the track. or if I feel like driving it to work once in a while to pick on some of my import driving buddies.

• Sponsors (?)

That intake is way too large for your combo even with the blower, you would actually see a decrease in performance.

With a stock head and the F-cam I wouldn't look any larger then a Edelbrock RPM, TFS Track Heat or a Holley Systemax, they are even a tad large. Out of those 3 I would go with the Holley, it should work well now and allow you room to grow if or when you decide to upgrade your heads.

If you have the skills and tools, you can even keep the intake you have and port the restrictive lower for rpms below the stock rev limiter. There is a how-to for porting the lower intake in the Tech section here:

EECTuning.org • Index page

If not Tom "tmoss" does nice work and can take care of the porting for you ;) I've put some of his stock stuff on my customers cars with nice gains.

Rick

Thanks for the advice on the different intakes & for the link on how to port what I have. As usual, I tent to try to go over board with things. kind of like if a little is good, more must be better. this of course is not always true. I plan on upgrading to the TFS 185 heads eventually.

just another quick question about intakes. so what is it that makes an intake to big for a particular application? Not that i dont belive you guys, i was just wondering. this is my first project and trying to learn a lot. Here is what i was thinking. you can put big injectors in ( say 42 lb ) & a high flowing fuel pump on a mild set up and be ok if the eec is programed for it. your engine will just never see the full potintial of the fuel system. I was thinking an intake would kind of be the same. it has the potintial to flow big amounts of air but if the engine cant pull in that much it would pull as much as possible but never see the full potintial of the intake. I must be wrong in thinking this so could someone explain why please.

a bigger intake is only going to make good power at higher rpms, it has alot do do with port velocity and the volume of air being moved... that being said, comparing intakes to fuel systems is completly irrelevant, there is a regulator on a fuelsystem to make it possible to run larger injectors and fuel pumps.

a victor 5.0 on stock heads would be like running 96lb injectors with a stock pump

a bigger intake is only going to make good power at higher rpms, it has alot do do with port velocity and the volume of air being moved... that being said, comparing intakes to fuel systems is completly irrelevant, there is a regulator on a fuelsystem to make it possible to run larger injectors and fuel pumps.

a victor 5.0 on stock heads would be like running 96lb injectors with a stock pump

What he said. Port cross section size has to be chosen carefully to maintain good flow velocity in the intended RPM range of a given motor. Smaller ports have the virtue of higher velocity but at the risk of not flowing enough air to feed the cylinders at higher RPM. Larger ports, of course, have the capacity to flow large amounts of air, but if the engine doesn't demand it (small displacement or low RPM), then velocity suffers and the cylinder actually wouldn't be filled with air effectively when the valve is open. Also, characteristics like swirl would suffer, resulting in inconsistent A/F mix and poor combustion efficiency.

Another thing to consider is intake runner length, which can be tuned to support performance in various RPM ranges due to the pressure-wave effect of the opening and closing of the intake valve. Some new cars take full advantage of this by means of variable-length intake runners.

Thanks for trying to clear that up. I looked into some other intakes on the summit website and it looks like the TFS intake has an RPM range that I can work with a lot better than a super victor

I think you'd see much better gains spending money on a good set of heads right now than buying another intake. The Explorer right now isn't your bottleneck- its the stock heads.

Not mentioned anywhere in the above 'velocity' arguments is the MAJOR importance of cam timing.

The piston motivates the air to move.
The valve timing is what dictates potential air speeds, but this often glossed over.

Custom cams from guys who know what they are doing can make a large intake work very well on a 'small' engine.
The entire combo would need to be worked in unison though....

cam selection involves careful consideration on both the intake (inlet) and exhaust (outlet) side. In an ideal situation, the exhaust system flow charactaristics are tuned to the valve events as are the intake valve events.

The exhaust has the capability of positively affecting cylinder fill. If the timing is right, there is not a lot of "pull" or "signal" on the opening intake valve as the piston is near TDC and piston speed is very low - no draw. If the ehaust system is designed correctly, it still has mass moving down the system and draws a vacuum or once again "signal" on the chamber. Since the cylinder volume is small, the vacuum the exhaust gass creates, (which is not great in relative terms to CID) is still very effective in getting the intake air moving to start sweeping fresh air into the cylinder. At some point, the piston starts to move at greater speed and the ability of the exhaust system to exert much effective gas movement on the intake port is lost, but that's OK as the piton is now moving the air.

If you vary from ideal by restricting the exhaust, the cylinder is not completely empty and some burned gasses remain in the chamber as the exhaust valve closes which dilutes or displaces fresh feul and air and power will be diminished. If the exhaust system overscavanges and/or injector timing is not right, some of injected fuel unburned may be drawn into the exhaust and power will be diminished - this is much more of a problem on carb cars where fuel is always suspended in the air charge.

On the intake side, if you open the intake valve too soon, exhaust gasses will be blown back out the intake valve in what is called "reversion". It is sucked back into the chamber as the piston continues on it journey, but that is a waste of time and the ability to get fresh air into the chamber. Open the intake too late and you inhibit the ability of the cylinder to fill based soley on the time you have to do it.

Now consider that the ideal valve events and system design paramters will need to vary with rpm and you get a feel for why you pay a good cam desinger for the benefit of his knowledge and services.