supercharger help

dude496

Jun 18, 2006
I know this is a no-no, but i'm in florida right now and in a gotta fix it somehow situation.

The P-1SC started making a light tapping noise...as long as i didnt push the car, it would just be a light noise...but if i pushed the car at all, it would get a lot worse...all the way to the point that i could feel it in the floor board.

I decided to bypass the s/c and used a stock 4.6 belt. Any recommendations on an intake setup? I'm thinkiing about getting some PVC and drilling a hole in it for the pcv. I figure, run the MAF on the pvc and filter on the end of it. I know its going to be ghetto, but i gotta get her home in one piece. Also i did pull the aftermarket chip. Of course, right now its running pig rich...all the air is still getting routed through the s/c and intercooler

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I see.. so you want a ghetto way to make an intake for it while you drive it home. Hope that's what you meant.

Just head to autozone and buy one of those pos import car filters, and like a 2 inch piece of pipe that comes with it, slap the MAF on, and clamp it to the throttle body.

Edit: How far is home from Florida?

yeah I'm just trying to do something ghetto to make the 1,000 mile drive back to oklahoma. Last night it was just running pig rich...today i rigged up the hose to test it and see if it would work...car would run for about 2 seconds then stall. Looks like i might not be able to bypass the s/c without reprograming the computer.

Whats the function of the external chip that plugs into the top of the computer? I had the car dyno tuned...did they do anything to the actual computer, or just to the removable chip?

Again thanks for the help

If you had an Xcal, I would say to flash to the stock tune while bypassing the SC, but it appears you have a chip tune. What about removing the chip?:shrug:

I agree with not driving the car at all in it's current state though

yeah i know its probably not the best idea to drive it that far, but i don't really have another option. Procharger does not sell rebuild kits, you have to mail ini the charger and wait until it gets fixed...i've heard horror stories of it taking a month for some people....so that idea is out.

I hooked everything back up, air is running through the intercooler and chip is re-installed. Watching my a/f gauge, it seems to be running decent...its back to being a night rider gauge. The car seems to be idling fine, and it drives fine...no backfiring or missing and doesnt smell rich.

When i had the chip out, the a/f gauge stayed all the way rich, had troubles idling and at half throttle it would start choking itself.

Right now i feel comfortable to drive the car. Again thanks for the replies.

OH one more thing...when i had the intercooler pipes off, i noticed that the pipes had an rusty colored oil on it...ideas of what that is?

dont they remove the stock "chip" for an aftermarket one? so now his comp has no chip in it and its not running at all.

i would have it towed home.

I'm not really sure on this one...i 'm thinking the "stock chip" is internal to the computer while the dyno tuned chip is an external device that gets plugged into the port on the top of the computer. Does the stock computer have a card inserted in the port on top?

Edit: The car is now running, with no check engine light on and not running rich

There is no stock chip

Technically there is a stock chip (every computer uses "chip's"), but in our application it seems we do not alter it. From what i have gathered we use an external chip to override the stock chip.

So far after bypassing the s/c the car seems to be running fine...gas mileage is about normal, it does not stall, and does not hesitate. The only time the car runs rich is during WOT...but i'd rather it run rich, than lean. Very confident the car will make its 1,000 mile journey back home next week.

After much thought, i think i know why the car is running better with the aftermarket chip....the chip is better able to compensate for the 42# injectors.

I have two hoses that run off the intake...one is the pcv, and the other is a down pipe...I thought it was a blow off valve, is that correct? Or do stock mustangs also have this configuration?