Supercharger on a 01 cobra

CobraXtreme

Jun 4, 2004
Can someone direct me to a page where i could order a supercharger for my 01cobra, also for some help...

Could someone give me (this would be very helpful) a general list of different horsepower boosts, and how much they would cost? Like, tell me if i wanted a 150HP boost it would be between $2,000-$3,000 and for a 250HP boost etc....

And, what is the highest boost i could get without totally destroying my engine. I pretty much want my car to be able to blow the doors off an 03 cobra (which has a supercharger on it, stock)

• Sponsors (?)

You need to do a lot of research before deciding to buy a blower.
There's no magic answer here....as boost is just part of the equation...gas, a/f, timing, fuel system, spark plugs....these all are factors.

When measuring power everyone talks about RWHP...so, 125-200 RWHP increases are the norm. I just blew my motor on Saturday after about 7500 miles on the blower...although I was at the upper limits and knew it. I was pushing 13lbs of boost on the stock block.

So, if you don't want to push your luck, go with an SC-trim from Vortech. You will see about 10 lbs of boost. You need to make sure the kit includes upgraded injectors and MAF. The pump from them, so I hear, isn't the greatest. You will need to find out which fuel pump would fit your hp level.
Also, you need to find a good tuner in your area. DONT just use the chip they supply you.

I can't help as far as where to order, as the shop ordered everything in a "tuner kit" since they are a Vortech vender.

i ordered my procharger p1sc with 3-core intercooler from dallas mustang. they have the best price for the procharger i have ever seen. so go take a look online. i spent 4200 shipped for the procharger, steeda 42lb injectors and 87mm pro-m maf. thats a good price to me considering the lowest price i ever found was 3800 for just the sc kit. good luck! :D i'll only be pushing 8lbs of boost, so hopefully it'll last. but i need to find a good tuner. anybody know of one in the PA,NJ area?

Agreed....My tune was safe...in the upper RPM's I was at low 11's on the a/f....timing was set at 14, and I was running 94 octane. Cylinder pressures were just too much for the stock bottom end.

I just read a post about another guy blowing the #7, 8 cylinders on the dyno...pushing less than 10 lbs of boost if I remember right.

If you don't forge now...just be prepared.
:flag:

Well how much horsepower boost did you guys get?

AND< i hear so many problembs about their engine breaking down because off too much compression, so if i bought a better bottom end, and made sure everything was able to handle the horsepower, then it would be fine?

well, here's my first post at stangnet
CobraXtreme,
you really should do a lot of research into this subject, go to manufacturers websites, check out superchargers.com. and you really should read a book on how superchargers work or read somthing online.....you really would benefit from having as much information and knowledge of the topic as you can.
check out sean hylands book. "how to build max performance 4.6 liter ford engines"
it mentions that the stock rods are made of powdered-metal cracked cap rods which are pretty weak, these rods are used on all of the 4.6 motors except the 03-04 cobra which uses a forged steel h-beam rod. the rods really are the weak point with the 4.6 bottom end, although the pistons are also pretty weak, you really do want to have a forged piston with any power adder. However the good news is that the 4.6 4v cobra motors come with a forged steel crank which is reportedly good for up to 1500HP!!
so, get some forged steel h-beam rods forged pistons, have the shortblock balanced and you should be good to go.
if you just want to go with a conservative boost level say around 9-10 psi with stock heads, cams, intake you should be ok with the stock bottom end.
what i'm really worried about with my 01 cobra is the rear end and stock clutch. but that will be remedied soon.
oh yeah before I forget, sean hyland says that with the centrifugal superchargers you should leave your CR at the stock level 9.85-1. because they are a total dog at low rpm with a lower CR. turbos and roots-type superchargers benefit from a lower CR like 8.0-1
later
Ian

Whats cr ? and those numbers? are those gears? (i know, i dont know jack about this)

Wait, so where can i get my engine forged so it can widthstand upto 1500HP, that would be most excellent :)

CR is compression ratio. 9.85 to 1 is the stock CR. according to sean hyland you can run stock compression with a centrifugal type supercharger, in fact you should or the motor will have no bottom end or midrange. you only want to go down to 8.5 to 1 if you are running a roots-type blower or a turbo. you'll have to find an engine builder if you don't feel comfortable rebuilding the motor yourself. all i was saying about the crank is that it can supposedly support up to 1500 hp with some minor modifications, balancing lightening. anyway, with some forged steel rods and forged pistons you will be able to run more HP than you could put down with street tires. but like I said you will have to beef up your rear end before you can handle supercharged horsepower, the stock halfshafts will break for sure, unless you are just spinning the tires and not hooking.
later
Ian