Suspension/Coil-Over Noise???

uhoh5.0

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2002
Montgomery, AL
Coil Over Noise Question?

Here's a kinda wierd question. Sometimes I hear this noise coming from the front driver side wheel area like two pieces of metal smacking together. So, when I get home I pop the hood and push down on the cowl area and sure enough, if I push down hard nothing happens, but when I let go and the car rebounds I hear that noise. So, I did that a few times trying to figure out where the noise is exactly coming from and then it will stop. Its almost like something re-seats itself or gets back into position and its fine. THis happened about a month ago too and I drove the car up on my ramps and I pushed down on it, heard the noise so I went and got my neighbor so I could get under the car and he could try to duplicate the noise, but sure enough once I was under there it stopped.WTF?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Sometimes I hear this clanking noise coming from the front driver side wheel area. This has happened twice over the past month or so. I get home, pop the hood, and push down on the radiator support area and when I let go and the car rebounds upward there is a clank. It's kinda like two hollow tubes of steel being smacked together once. I'll push up and down a few times and eventually the noise quits like something re-seats itself or miraculously goes back into place. :shrug: This has happened twice now, and the first time, I drove the car up on my ramps then got out and verified that the noise still happened when I pushed down on the suspension. So, I went and got my neighbor so that I could get under the car and he could push down on the front driver-side corner of the car so I could see where the noise was coming from. Sure enough, once I got under the car and he pushed on it the noise was gone????? What could this be??? I have a UPR k-member, tubular a-arms, and UPR coil over set-up. The passenger side has never done this. WTF:shrug:

which coilovers do you have? mine do make a little noise. when MM was cornerweighting my car they showed me exactly where the noise is coming from. there are rubbing on the inner fender. look for any paint missing from your springs. also make sure that the upper strut bolt is tight and that all the C/C plate bolts are tight.

You know, I have a 96 Cobra with Griggs/Koni coilovers and when I turn while stopped a lot of times I hear this metal on metal noise and sometimes followed by a "BOOIING", so I was looking under there once and noticed that the coil spring was hitting the frame! I had some more negative camber put in because that's about the only way to get more clearance besides cutting the frame and it stopped for a while, it's doing it again now though... Think I'm going to do some metal work on her pretty soon to get it to stop all together... I'd hate to have more than 1 degree negative camber for a street car, can you say kiss your front tires goodbye!? Especially not at $180 a tire for these BFG's... UGH.

I really need to get under there and try to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from. But its wierd that it comes and goes and that its only on the driver side. I guess another good way to describe the sound it makes is like a locker shutting (ie gym locker). But it doesn't happen when you push down, its after you've already pushed down and you let go and when it bounces back to normal ride height you hear the noise. Mine are the UPR coil-overs:shrug:

look for missing paint on the springs to see if they are rubbing it could be catching on the inner fender well when compressed, and the falling back to the perch after you let it back up