Suspension/Handling question plz help

jay90GT302

Mar 2, 2008
My car handles pretty terrible i think, even for stock. I just put new monroe matic plus shocks and rear axle dampers in the rear but when i push down on the rear of the car, its still bouncy and springs back up alot. The front is stiffer, not much bounce when u compress it. So my question is does it mean my rear springs are shot if its that bouncy back there? There the 18 yr old stock springs as a far as i kno, so is it my best bet to put new lowering springs in?

• Sponsors (?)

yeah i'll have to post a pic, sometimes it looks like there is less wheel gap on one rear wheel or the rear is a lil lower than the front. The previous owner had a heavy sub box back there, would that have stressed or fatigued certain susp parts?

Check to make sure the springs are pointed in the same direction. What I mean is at the top where the spring hits the upper cup. Sometimes they turn and cause the rear to lean to one side or another.

I would get a new set of shocks and struts all the way around. Then go with a good set of lowering springs like Ford Racing or Steeda. I would do ball joints and tie rods too. All that stuff is old and wore out. You'd haate to have a balljoint or tie rod brake while driving.

Start with subframe connectors, then strut tower brace....also install poly sway bar mounts. Then, get some Ford MS rear upper control arms. Then a lower K-member brace. That will get you a good start. Brand new Gas Matics should be fine for a street car until your much later full spring and strut/shock upgrade.....AFTER you do the things I mentioned above.

Done this on two 5.0Ls now.....

Start with subframe connectors, then strut tower brace....also install poly sway bar mounts. Then, get some Ford MS rear upper control arms. Then a lower K-member brace. That will get you a good start. Brand new Gas Matics should be fine for a street car until your much later full spring and strut/shock upgrade.....AFTER you do the things I mentioned above.

I suggest this as well....I'd put the rear control arms(w/spherical bearings) higher on the priority list as the side/side movement of the factory rear suspension is not acceptable by todays standards...my panhard bar was one of the best upgrades I've ever made.