T-5 Transmission wiring

CJK440

Feb 15, 2001
Connecticut
I want to install a remote starter in my 95 GT with a 5 speed. I know they say "automatic only" but I installed one in my old '89 with a T-5 and wired the started cicuitry through a neutral switch (closed in neutral only) on the transmission (the switch was on the driver side). The car would only start if I left the tranny in neutral. It worked well.

What I am wondering is if the T-5 installed in 94-95's still has this switch??

Also, for bonus points what is it there for & how is it wired into the car? I converted my 89 from auto to stick so know I didn't do the full wiring conversion.

• Sponsors (?)

No, we don't have a neutral safety switch. AFAIK that was replaced with a switch attached to the clutch pedal. We have two electrical connections, one for the reverse lights, and one for the speedo.

Dave

HairyCanary said:
No, we don't have a neutral safety switch. AFAIK that was replaced with a switch attached to the clutch pedal. We have two electrical connections, one for the reverse lights, and one for the speedo.

Dave

So on the pre 94 cars the ignition was tied into the tranny so it couldn't be started unless in neutral?? (I swapped my T5 into my 89 so am not sure how the factory did it)