T&J performance, VTengines, Kenne Bell combo results (long)

Ralan

Sep 28, 2003
Hello,

I meant to get this posted several days ago but after having been out of town for almost three weeks I have been swamped getting caught up with everything. (I’ll post this on all the boards I frequent, so if you jump around like I do you’ll see it elsewhere too).
Anyway, I recently had T&J performance in Atlanta install a VT engines forged stroker, with a Kenne Bell twin screw blower for a power adder. I picked the car up on Sunday Jan. 4th. Tim had dyno tuned it the day before and got 493rwhp/518rwtq, with a max of 12 psi, 15* of timing and an 11.5 a/f ratio. That’s with a catted H-pipe and factory 2 ¼ cat-back also. I was very happy with the power, but the blower (or so I thought at the time) was making a very annoying gear whine at idle and normal driving, I wasn’t too happy with that. It turns out after getting the car home and fully inspecting it, it wasn’t the blower making all the noise, it was the two eccentric idler pulleys just below the blower pulley. I had pressed aluminum sleeves on the idlers that were wider than the supplied nylon sleeves in order for them to work with a wider custom 8-rib belt set up. I guess the bearings in the idlers didn’t like the crush of having the sleeves pressed onto them, and they were howling like a cat in heat (borrowing a description by some others that heard the car…lol). I now have new bearings with stainless sleeves pressed on, with a lighter crush press, and the blower is close to silent when not in boost. There is a slight bit of blower noise when just driving normally (nothing compared to what it was before), but none at idle and I am very happy with it now.
As for Tim, Jeff, and Andy at T&J’s, they did an incredible job working on my car. They worked long and hard to get my car right. And not just running right, they also installed gauges, wired the boost-a-pump and boost-a-spark, as well as installed the motor and blower, and it was all excellent work. I can’t recommend them enough, if you’re wanting professional performance work done you can’t go wrong taking your car there. Tim street tuned the car for 5 hours- on a Sunday -, with me driving for several of the test runs (sorry if I made you nervous a few times Tim…getting loose at 60mph is fun, right? lol). You gotta beat on it some to learn what it’s gonna do! Tim can do some amazing stuff with that EFI solutions tuning software. Tim has to walk a tightrope between timing, a/f ratio’s, and inlet air temps that will make good power, won’t stumble or miss, and of course won’t detonate. He obviously knows what he’s doing, but I don’t envy him, it’s not always easy. From what I gathered, making good power numbers on the dyno at wot isn’t that tough, but getting it right for all the various conditions encountered during regular street driving can be a challenge.
As for VT engines, I ordered a forged, stroked long block with ported heads and their blower cams. Scott at VT kept me informed of the status of my motor all throughout the build, and quickly answered any questions I had along the way. I had them ship the motor directly to T&J’s where the install was going to be at. The motor looked great, is running great, and it’s making very impressive power. I am completely happy with VT engines and would recommend them to anyone considering getting a built motor.
And finally for the Kenne Bell blower, I am obviously very pleased with it. 493hp and 518tq at the wheels with only 12 psi, through a catted h-pipe and factory cat back, is impressive to me. The car is very quiet, sitting next to it at a stop light, you would never know it made that kind of power. It’s a blast to drive, I’m still getting used to the power. On top of that, I still have another pulley that is smaller than the one on the car now, and should give me another 2 psi, plus Tim is convinced there is another 20 to 30 hp in it if I switch to a Dr. Gas off road X-pipe and a Flowmaster 2 ½ inch cat back. That could put the car somewhere around 535rwhp, if I decide to give up the sleeper exhaust that I have now. I’m sure I will eventually be back up at T&J’s with the smaller pulley, and probably go with the exhaust too. But right now I’m going to drive the car for a little bit and enjoy it how it is. Thanks again to Tim, Jeff, and Andy at T&J’s, Scott at VTengines, and Kenne Bell for a great blower!

• Sponsors (?)

Awesome numbers!! :nice:

Sounds like you have had a good expierence with your project which is good news. Also it sounds like you still have a lot of potential left with your setup. I bet it's nice knowing you have one of the nastiest mustang on the road.

Also I'm jelous of your setup :D

KaPPaBaLL said:
that's good to hear. hurry and put that Dr. Gas x-pipe with magnaflow catback. you should see big gains from that.. i don't recommend flowmasters as their rwhp gains are minimal compared to magnaflows.

Rob,your welcome.Im very happy to hear your pleased.Your car is a beast and absolutely beautiful..
As far as Magnaflow verse Flows,Nadda......We have tested all different combo's on high HP cars.the Dr.Gas and Flows out do the other combo's..Thats why we use that combo on all the 500-600rwhp cars....

Rob,enjoy man...I enjoyed the rides....:)The car is a beast...

Tim

cobra killer said:
Rob,your welcome.Im very happy to hear your pleased.Your car is a beast and absolutely beautiful..
As far as Magnaflow verse Flows,Nadda......We have tested all different combo's on high HP cars.the Dr.Gas and Flows out do the other combo's..Thats why we use that combo on all the 500-600rwhp cars....

Tim

oh ok, didn't know that. what's up with people saying that magnaflow catbacks gain most rwhp and flow much better? is this for stock applications only?

Ralan said:
I guess the bearings in the idlers didn’t like the crush of having the sleeves pressed onto them, and they were howling like a cat in heat (borrowing a description by some others that heard the car…lol). I now have new bearings with stainless sleeves pressed on, with a lighter crush press, and the blower is close to silent when not in boost.

well I guess that clears that up. I had heard that your car sounded like a "cat in heat" and I was wondering if all the KB's for the 2v would sound like that.

btw in terms of the sleeper aspect...I personally would leave the exhaust like it is and not give any hint to the monster motor you got under the hood but that's just me. :D

congrats and always nice to hear about another happy customer of T&J :nice:

Congrats Rob! I would imagine you have another solid 30-50 rwhp hiding in there just by uncorking the exhaust!

Tim tells me he had to get Andy to use tweezers to remove some of your seat from his arse after riding with you. :rlaugh:

Glad your satisfied with everything!

I need to know what kind of car you drive because I definately don't want to pull up beside you and try to race because I wouldn't want you to murder me. good luck with your set up. I am hoping to give vt engines a call someday when money permits.

cobra killer said:

Tim

I have the flowmaster force2 catback on my car.. is this the exhaust system you are reffering to?

san~man said:
It's usually "if you have to ask,........" and you know the rest :D

What other things have you done besides the motor and FI work?

Yeah, it isn't a cheap hobby thats for sure. I figure it costs what it costs and if you decide it's worth it and do it, theres no sense in dwelling on the money spent.

Hmmm, I'll probably forget a few things, but the trans is a t-56 six speed from D&D performance, a D&D heavy duty clutch, a billet flywheel, the rear has an eaton 31 spline diff with moser axles, 3.73 gears, welded torque boxes and axle tubes, MM full length sub frame connectors, '03 cobra tank/pump combo, I'm currently boxing in (welding) the stock rear control arms now (I tried the MM solid spherical bushing control arms, but they had too much road, tire and gear noise for me), energy suspension polyuerethane front control arm bushings, steeda x2 balljoints, BBK lowering springs, tokico blue shocks/struts, MM c/c plates, wheel replica deep dish bullit rims (18x9 front 18x10 rear). Thats all I can think of right now.

""I have the flowmaster force2 catback on my car.. is this the exhaust system you are reffering to?""

I'm not positive, but I think the flowmasters Tim is referring to are the 40 series. Might want to check with him to be sure.

So what's the coin for something of this magnitude?

If I had to take a guess probally around 10K

$4495 for the Engine(From VT's Website)
$3795 for the KB Supercharger Kit.
Probally a coulpe of thousand for labor/tuning/etc...

By the way with all the great stuff im hearing, once Im ready to build my car up I know im making a road trip to Atlanta :D

Ralan said:
Yeah, it isn't a cheap hobby thats for sure. I figure it costs what it costs and if you decide it's worth it and do it, theres no sense in dwelling on the money spent.

Hmmm, I'll probably forget a few things, but the trans is a t-56 six speed from D&D performance, a D&D heavy duty clutch, a billet flywheel, the rear has an eaton 31 spline diff with moser axles, 3.73 gears, welded torque boxes and axle tubes, MM full length sub frame connectors, '03 cobra tank/pump combo, I'm currently boxing in (welding) the stock rear control arms now (I tried the MM solid spherical bushing control arms, but they had too much road, tire and gear noise for me), energy suspension polyuerethane front control arm bushings, steeda x2 balljoints, BBK lowering springs, tokico blue shocks/struts, MM c/c plates, wheel replica deep dish bullit rims (18x9 front 18x10 rear). Thats all I can think of right now.

""I have the flowmaster force2 catback on my car.. is this the exhaust system you are reffering to?""

I'm not positive, but I think the flowmasters Tim is referring to are the 40 series. Might want to check with him to be sure.

I saw this car and listened to it run. Its a damned niced car. :nice:

Dave

Im glad you like the results of your car we really enjoyed working on it. I was kind of worried about the sound it was making out of the kb so Im glad it was worked out. Your car was the first kb I have seen on a car and I have to admit I was blown away on the looks of the kb setup. On top of that all the quality work you have done on your car prior to us working on it. :nice:
Between GiJoe, Micool, and your car its really making me second guess this whole turbo thing...... :shrug:

Andy

T&Jboy said:
Between GiJoe, Micool, and your car its really making me second guess this whole turbo thing...... :shrug:

Andy

:notnice: .............back in your corner ya little manwhore! :nonono:

Just kiddin'. Great Job you guys did down there Andy! I know you and Jeff get the credit cuz Tim's just the receptionist (well, that what Jeff says anyways :rlaugh: )

Thanks again for the great work you guys did for Rob and us ;)