• AOD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TKO

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have the On3 70MM turbo kit, B303 cam, and a little massaging of the heads. 3.55 gears, stock suspension height.

I have been rather rough on my stock WCT5 lately, and it let go with a loud bang, lots of grinding. Assuming it is more than simply broken shift fork, but hoping so anyways.

I am looking for opinions/options on replacements. Auto, Manual, 5 speed or 6....

I want it to be synchronized due to driveability as this is a Grand Touring car, which will see some track time.....

1989 Mustang LX Vert.
5.0HO B303
On3 70mm 8psi (guessing 450rwhp)
Nitto DRs
3.55 LSD

• Sponsors (?)

How much do you want to spend here?

A T-5Z will be your cheapest option, and a direct swap, but at a bit over $2K you aren't going to really get much more torque-holding capbility over your previous 3.35 WC trans. I can't even recommend an aftermarket builder because those also seem to be dropping like flies (re: astro performance)

If this was a pure automatic, i would say a 4r70W gearset swapped AOD might be the way to go, but sounds like a manual transmission would be the right fit for your car.

With that said, TKX or T-56Magnum. It's a more involved swap as now you need a new bellhousing (for the TKZ) and new clutch, crossmember, etc. Prob in the $4K+ range for TKX (i haven't priced out a full swap myself yet) and $5K+ for the T-56 kits

If it was me, i'd go TKX

I recommend Hanlon Motorsports in PA. They do ship all over the place. Bob, his wife, and his son are great folks. Bob built my tko600 specifically for my turbo car. It shifts quick and smooth. No notchiness or vibrations. I even have a 1st gear I can use. They sell the TKX too. ( I don't know much about that one ). If you call them they'll get you a recommendation and a quote on everything you need. I bought a whole swap kit from them.