Take-offs

hot red 2000

Feb 9, 2004
Eastern NC
I know this has been asked a 1000 times...but can someone tell me what part of the exhaust is the "take-off'? Will a GT take off work on a V6?And one other thing...I have an exhaust leak,was thinking of going with headers...does anyone have suggestions to this? I am running a pure stock engine w/ K & N filter...no other mods in the engine compartment....or should I just stick with the stock manifold?

• Sponsors (?)

hot red 2000 said:
I know this has been asked a 1000 times...but can someone tell me what part of the exhaust is the "take-off'? Will a GT take off work on a V6?And one other thing...I have an exhaust leak,was thinking of going with headers...does anyone have suggestions to this? I am running a pure stock engine w/ K & N filter...no other mods in the engine compartment....or should I just stick with the stock manifold?

I just went through this, with the help of some of the members on this site:

The "take off" means that the exhaust system has been "taken off" a GT car. Everything behind the cats: front pipe, mufflers and rear/tail pipes. If you go with a straight swap, changing your single exhaust to a true dual, you will use all of that. You'll need to purchase a GT hanger kit, which I got from http://www.v6mustangparts.com/, and you'll need to cut your Y-pipe and either run customs fabricated pipes srtaight back, or have an H-pipe or an X-pipe installed, depending on what you're going for.

I had a GT takeoff exhaust put on my V6, installed as true duals with no H-pipe, and I'm very happy with it. The other thing you can do is replace the GT mufflers with aftermarket performance mufflers, but in that case then all you're going to be using off the GT take-offs are the tail pipes.

I can't really help you with the manifold part, I don't know anything about that, but I'm sure there are other people on this site who know more about that than I do.

Good luck. I can tell you that I'm very pleased with the results I got after making the switch to the GT exhaust.

-Lynn.