Taking the Cobra to the Dragstrip..Any Advice?

Well im going racing on Friday night and this is my first time drag racing my mustang. Ive done some drag racing before although it was in an automatic. Do you guys have any tips on burnouts (manual trans car), launching, and shift points? I also may borrow a friends drag radials to use. BTW, the strip we are going to has poor prep and most people have trouble getting decent times.

94 Cobra
powerdyne @ 6lbs boost
headers
off road-X
catback
3:73 gears

• Sponsors (?)

Give er' hell.

J/K ... but on the tires .... borrow the DR's & heat them up some. If you don't, & you run street tires, don't bother heating them up.

The only time I'll burn a street tire is if I get water on them from the box. Some say heating a street tire will actually hurt your time ... but I haven't experimented enough to know for sure yet.

SeventyMach1 said:
Give er' hell.

J/K ... but on the tires .... borrow the DR's & heat them up some. If you don't, & you run street tires, don't bother heating them up.

The only time I'll burn a street tire is if I get water on them from the box. Some say heating a street tire will actually hurt your time ... but I haven't experimented enough to know for sure yet.
:Word: If ur on street tire i wouldnt do a burn out. with ur foot OFF the brake spin the tires about 2-3 foot so u can get the all the all the dirt and crap from the highways off. also will make the traction compound stick to ur tires better then do a huge burn out.

- Let the car cool off before you line up. Put ice on your upper intake manifold.

- Take all the crap out of the car, the spare, everything you can.

- Bring a helmet, you'll need it, you'll probly be under 14 seconds.

- With street tires, a blower, and 3.73s you might have traction issues, I'd practice your launches somewhere. All it takes is one idiot in a pro-mod to leak crap everywhere and limit you to 1-2 runs for the whole night so you want to bring your A-game when they occur. This has happened to me on test and tune before.

- Shallow stage. Inch forward just far enough so that you break the second staging light. If you do this, you have a 15 or so inch head start before the timer actually starts. This is a HUGE advantage. This will literally cut tenths off your time.

- With a stock hci, I'd be shifting that puppy around 5500. I'm not as familiar with blown applications though or what a powerdyne's dyno curve looks like. You're going to have to experiment with the ol' butt dyno until you figure it out.

- Move the seat up as far as you comfortable can. The closer your hands are to your body, the better your hand-eye coordination is, which means the better your stick work will be. Ever see a NASCAR driver have to reach for the shifter? Me either. The wheel and the stick are practically in their lap for a reason.

- Don't dump the clutch when launching, rev it up then slip it. Especially if you are using the stock differential and axles. If you are using sticky tires, 3.73s, and a blower, AND dumping the clutch, your stock diff will be experiencing some serious strain.

my .02, have fun!

Adam

Black95GTS said:
- Let the car cool off before you line up. Put ice on your upper intake manifold.

- With street tires, a blower, and 3.73s you might have traction issues, I'd practice your launches somewhere. All it takes is one idiot in a pro-mod to leak crap everywhere and limit you to 1-2 runs for the whole night so you want to bring your A-game when they occur. This has happened to me on test and tune before.

- Shallow stage. Inch forward just far enough so that you break the second staging light. If you do this, you have a 15 or so inch head start before the timer actually starts. This is a HUGE advantage. This will literally cut tenths off your time.

- With a stock hci, I'd be shifting that puppy around 5500. I'm not as familiar with blown applications though or what a powerdyne's dyno curve looks like. You're going to have to experiment with the ol' butt dyno until you figure it out.

- Move the seat up as far as you comfortable can. The closer your hands are to your body, the better your hand-eye coordination is, which means the better your stick work will be. Ever see a NASCAR driver have to reach for the shifter? Me either. The wheel and the stick are practically in their lap for a reason.

- Don't dump the clutch when launching, rev it up then slip it. Especially if you are using the stock differential and axles. If you are using sticky tires, 3.73s, and a blower, AND dumping the clutch, your stock diff will be experiencing some serious strain.

my .02, have fun!

Adam

Very good info!

Black95GTS said:

my .02, have fun!

Adam
very good info indeed...going along with the shallow staging, it will be approx one tenth faster than deep staging...or deep staging will be 1 tenth slower than regualr shallow staging which is the way most people look at it....for first time racers, just stage the car regularly, slip the clutch, and give that shifter hell!!