tfs box R on AFR 205's

• Sponsors (?)

What are your power goals and intended usage for the car/combo? What bottom end would you like to see those heads and intake on? AFR 205's flow huge numbers out for the box for a 302 based motor that's naturally aspirated, stroker or not. A set of AFR 205's would be better suited to a big inch Windsor, and that TFS Box R intake performs best under boost conditions. Otherwise, you'll be sacrificing a lot of the low end grunt that makes a street car fun in the first place.

What are your power goals and intended usage for the car/combo? What bottom end would you like to see those heads and intake on? AFR 205's flow huge numbers out for the box for a 302 based motor that's naturally aspirated, stroker or not. A set of AFR 205's would be better suited to a big inch Windsor, and that TFS Box R intake performs best under boost conditions. Otherwise, you'll be sacrificing a lot of the low end grunt that makes a street car fun in the first place.

power goals are 410 to 430 at the wheels yea it is a stroker. also im kinda restricted to afr's or maybe a trick flow high port right now id love to have a set of FAC 195's but i got flat top pistons with inline valve reliefs. ivealso considered a set of cnc 185's.

you working with the bottom end in your sig? I would say some 185 afr's, a tfs r upper (not box) and a nice cam bigger than that measly stage 1

yea same bottom end and i been looking at combos all evening and it seems that pretty much everyone is able to get 400 rwhp out of a set of afr 185's, custom cam and a decent upper/lower intake.

I put these on my turbocharged 331.

On the break-in dyno run with no tuning (timing or AFR), the car made 362 rwhp at roughly 14:1 AFR, and I don't remember the total timing. We also didn't take the motor beyond 6100 rpm when it's meant to run to 7k without issue.

Keep in mind that this is an 8.5:1 Compression motor. I personally think that's pretty damned impressive and expect under a good tune and revved to 7k, I'd have seen 390-400 rwhp at least. Ed Curtis' only comment was, "That's damn LEAN!" At 11.5:1 compression (still pump fuel friendly), that's already a 400rwhp engine without the tuning or RPM. A race-oriented n/a 12.5:1, and 9000 RPM screamer could pull 500+ rwhp from these parts without question, probably closer to 550.

I picked these parts because I wanted room to grow. I think I'll eventually make this a solid roller 9k+ rpm motor. The internals are already capable. The valvetrain is not.

The car made 762rwhp under 14.5 pounds of boost. So at less than 2 atmospheres it made 110% more power. Still climbing, the dyno was stopped at about 6300 rpm. It was a damn good tune, but still moderately conservative (20* timing, and an AFR of about 12:1). The car ultimately has a lot left in it. I expect that over 1000rwhp is possible with a manual tranny and 25ish psi.

I don't know what you're planning, but on a 302 shortblock, these components are way overkill unless you've got a stroked high RPM screamer boost or no boost. I think they're way overkill for what I currently have, but I like having big shoes to fill rather than parts that I have to replace. Besides, I'm not worried about low-end torque anymore... A little less down low can actually be helpful.