The 5.0 is back

I'm not arguing with the technology, considering the first iteration of the OHV 302ci block rolled off the assembly line (exactly the way it sits in some of our cars to this day) in the late 1967 model year, and the motor it's being compared to came out... well, it hasn't even come out yet. :D Those new power numbers are damn impressive though, albeit heresay at this point without strapping it to some rollers.

I'm well aware of the power making ability of a modular motor, especially with forced induction. My car with only a pulley and a tune is making 455/457 through a power robbing C4 and 4000 stall. It pulls like a freight train, sounds wicked, hooks hard and tracks dead straight, with a 6 CD changer and comfortable interior, haha. These motors are all loved by Ford fans for different reasons. I'd love to be in any mustang with any motor (Mustang II's need not apply, haha). But like I said, it's apples to oranges and different strokes for different folks. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not knocking on the old 302 OHV's ability to make power, but to make that much power, with near zero emmisions, smooth idle and perfect drivability while still able to knock down 25mpg+.....that's not something I've seen our of any N/A 302 OHV yet. Even your previous 306rwph/311rwtq is still a good 50-60fwhp and 30-35tq shy (based on a 15% drivetrain loss) of the 411bhp/390tq rating of the new 5.0L. :shrug:

...and again, this is from a rock, stock factory engine!!! :nice:

Weren't the aussies doing things with the 5.0 into the early 2000's?? IIRC, they were up somewhere around 350 crank HP out of a pushrod 5.0 in a Ford Falcon before they made the change to the 5.4L.

Of course, that engine prob would never pass US regulations, but it's about the most hi-po pushrod 5.0 Ford put in a production car.

I think it was using GT40P heads and a sort of Explorer-type of intake. Trying to find pics of the aussie 5.0, but kinda tough to track down. :shrug:

I could care less that this new motor is a modular. Doesn't bother me a bit as i love the mod motors. But when people see that 5.0 emblem on the side, most non-enthusiasts are gonna think Ford brought back the ole pushrod 5.0....just like everyone with a Hemi thinks they have the same engine as a '68 roadrunner.

The only negative to the new 5.0 is the compression ratio. I've heard 10.5:1 will be the new CR, but then again i've heard it will run on 87 octane..so unsure what to beleive yet. But if the CR is insanely high, then it's gonna put a damper on slapping a blower on these engines. Kinda makes you wonder if the 5.0 is "maxed out" from the factory? I mean 412HP N/A is impressive.

Weren't the aussies doing things with the 5.0 into the early 2000's?? IIRC, they were up somewhere around 350 crank HP out of a pushrod 5.0 in a Ford Falcon before they made the change to the 5.4L.

Of course, that engine prob would never pass US regulations, but it's about the most hi-po pushrod 5.0 Ford put in a production car.
I don't doubt they put out the jam, but you hit it on the head with your first assumption. They'd never pass North American Emissions regulations. Not too hard to make good power numbers when you don't have smog or noise compliancies to worry about.
I could care less that this new motor is a modular. Doesn't bother me a bit as i love the mod motors. But when people see that 5.0 emblem on the side, most non-enthusiasts are gonna think Ford brought back the ole pushrod 5.0....just like everyone with a Hemi thinks they have the same engine as a '68 roadrunner.
Yeah, I hear ya....but those non-enthusiasts don't bother me anymore. Hell.....most of them think the Mustang was still a 5.0L even when the Modular Engines were prevalent. The other half think that the 4.6L SOHC is a V6 and the DOHC is a big block.

I've learned not to let the ignorance bother me anymore. Just smile and nod. You drive yourself nuts otherwise. :D

The only negative to the new 5.0 is the compression ratio. I've heard 10.5:1 will be the new CR, but then again i've heard it will run on 87 octane..so unsure what to beleive yet. But if the CR is insanely high, then it's gonna put a damper on slapping a blower on these engines. Kinda makes you wonder if the 5.0 is "maxed out" from the factory? I mean 412HP N/A is impressive.
That compression ratio is certainly high for big boost applications, but that doesn't mean they won't make big power numbers. They'll only make more power, with less effort. Eaton swapped Mach 1's are making as much, if not more power than the '03-'04 Cobra's while only reading 4-6psi on the gauge. Not to mention the increased torque numbers. I have no doubt that the new 5.0L engine will very easily see an additional 100hp/tq with very little motivation.

....and there are always the big bore and stroker kits. Remember....these new engines are supposed to make huge improvements on the weakest area of the old Modular Blocks.....bore spacing.

Imagine....6.0L, blown stroker engines topping 700rwhp on pump gas with 200,000-mile life spans. The aftermarket must just be wetting its pants to get their hands on these engines!!!

In 5.0 talk, the first thing you have to say about the new 5.0 is that it's better than the old one? Bad form. :notnice:

Of course it's a better engine. Is it a surprise to anyone in the world that Ford has made technological progress over the last 40 years? It sounds like it's a better engine than any modular to date, too. At least they finally got the displacement right :nice: Still, next time pretend you have a little tact and just give the engine a compliment instead of blasting the members in this forum, most of whom own and love the aforementioned 5.0 predecessor. People skills...

Anyways, this GT sounds like it will have a lot of impressive enhancements. 6-speed tranny, Brembo brakes, and an engine that should actually allow the Mustang GT to out hustle its direct GM and Dodge competition! I can't wait to see what Ford does with it. Will it be DI? If so, the compression ratio can afford to be higher. Also, with 4-bolt mains and all forged internals, a simple piston swap should be all that's required to make a monster motor. 700rwhp on pump gas is already happening at 4.6L displacements. 200k on one? No problem, as long as you don't mind occasional ring and bearing replacement. I don't think that technology has changed much even in the new crop of engines, though.

Chris

OOOHH, what happens when a "Moderator" and a "SuperMod" have an argument?? Whose bant hammer is t3h win?

:popcorn:

Are you kidding? That's our thing. He gets on and gives us ****, and I bust his balls for having pushrod-envy. We've been going back and forth about mods and pushrods forever.

If it was serious, he'd win. His swartz is bigger than mine... He "works" harder on this site than I do, or for that matter anyone I know :D:rlaugh:. As much as I enjoy it too, I just can't devote the time I used to.

I can still :ban: the pot stirrers, though :nice:

Chris

In 5.0 talk, the first thing you have to say about the new 5.0 is that it's better than the old one? Bad form. :notnice:

Of course it's a better engine. Is it a surprise to anyone in the world that Ford has made technological progress over the last 40 years? It sounds like it's a better engine than any modular to date, too. At least they finally got the displacement right :nice: Still, next time pretend you have a little tact and just give the engine a compliment instead of blasting the members in this forum, most of whom own and love the aforementioned 5.0 predecessor. People skills...

Tactless....Blasting the members of this Forum??? Is that what you read?!? :scratch:

See....I saw someone first making a (subtle) underhanded remark about the engines lack of pushrods....which I made the point of pointing out its Variable Cam Timing, and it’s other excellent attributes.

He then replied to this with how the previous OHV was able to make comparable power levels....at which point I agreed, but reminded them that the newer engine did it without sacrificing idle smoothness, drivability, emissions, or fuel economy.

Damn....you're right. I must be insane. I need anger management classes....I'm out of control!!! :eek: 1991notchbackLX, I'm really sorry for tearing into you the way I did. It was absolutely vicious....I can't help but feel guilty about the possibility of scarring you for life....can you ever forgive me? :(

:rolleyes:....Chris.....no more Rum (or quite possibly Shoe Polish) and Eggnog for you, it seems to be impairing your judgment....and it'll definitely make you go blind! :nono:

Are you kidding? That's our thing. He gets on and gives us ****, and I bust his balls for having pushrod-envy.
Pushrod envy indeed. I would love to build and all aluminum stroked and blown 427W backed by a Viper spec T-56 and stuffed into a 3,000lb car. Unfortunatley, unless I want to put an S197 on a serious diet and essentially gut the entire power train, I'd have to settle for an old Fox or SN95.

Well, I'm not about to settle for the Fox's other short comings and I don't fit worth a damn in an SN95...so I guess I'll just have to dare to dream. :(

the newer engine did it without sacrificing idle smoothness, drivability, emissions, or fuel economy.

smoothness? driveability? fuel economy? :shrug::rlaugh::rlaugh:

I guess I can understand the emissions part. I would hate choking on the exhaust fumes of that fox-body outrunning my sophisticated TiVVTLICKING wonder, too. But it doesn't idle smooth... so I can sleep at night:nice:

Pushrod envy indeed.

You said it!:flag:

Ugh, I don't even know wtf is going on in this thread. I wasn't serious, nor was I hurt or offended by Brian's comments. I own a mod motor for God's sake. I responded amiably and engaged the issue with my respectful and humble opinion. I'm gonna go irish up my egg nog. K bye.