The 5.0 Mustang is Back!

MRaburn

Founder
Admin Dude
Nov 29, 1999
Auburn, AL
In case you’ve been under a rock since 1996, when the 5.0-liter V-8 dropped from the Ford Mustang power plant offerings in favor of the 4.6-liter modular power plant, there’s a certain note of news humming about.* That’s right–the 5.0 Mustang is back!* Hey, better late than never, right?* Well, Ford’s made sure the entrance [...]

Please check out the Blog post here and and leave a comment.

• Sponsors (?)

Does it matter? It's still 302ci but a modern all-aluminium version with DOHC, 4-valves per cylinder, variable valve timing, 412hp @ 6500rpm, 390lbft @ 4250rpm, and a 7000rpm redline.

To me it does. Everybody's saying OMG! The 5.0's back! The 5.0's BACK!!!! View attachment 234393 Well, no. No it's not. Yes, it is a 5-liter V-8 that makes really impressive power. But it is not THE 5-Oh. It just happens to have the same displacement as The Original.

If some guy whose parents named him Elvis Presley when he was born in 1979 became a famous singer in 2010, would you be saying the "The King is back"?

The new 5-liter is going to be a great engine, but it is not "back".

To me it does. Everybody's saying OMG! The 5.0's back! The 5.0's BACK!!!! View attachment 234358 Well, no. No it's not. Yes, it is a 5-liter V-8 that makes really impressive power. But it is not THE 5-Oh. It just happens to have the same displacement as The Original.

If some guy whose parents named him Elvis Presley when he was born in 1979 became a famous singer in 2010, would you be saying the "The King is back"?

The new 5-liter is going to be a great engine, but it is not "back".

amen. I think its cool as hell ford's stepping the engine size and power up, but its not the same as the pushrod 5 liter. I think most people would have been disappointed if they had gone back to the original 5.0 :D

I think its the same as the 5.0L Cammer which is based off of the 5.4L block. But I'm not sure.

The Cammer was based on the '96-'98 4-valve DOHC 4.6 Modular engine in the Cobra and the Coyote is also based on the same engine. The Cammer put out 415hp/365lbft so the Coyote has nearly the same HP but more torque. Put that down to the variable cam timing that enables the Coyote to make more torque at lower rpm.
The Cammer was used in the 2000 limited edition FR500 which weighed in at 3587lb and did 0-60 in 4.5secs with a 1/4 mile in 13.0 @ 110. The 2011 GT is expected to weigh in at a near-identical 3603lb so with near-identical HP and 25lb more torque, it should have a slight edge in performance.

Okay I Lied

The new 5.0 really is an all-new engine sharing virtually no parts with the prior 4.6-liter. Only the bore spacing and deck height were carried over, allowing the block and heads to be machined on the same transfer lines with less re-tooling. Ford Racing has also offered a 5.0-liter crate engine for the last several years, but this new engine doesn't share anything with the race-ready mill other than its fundamental architecture.

Why??? i wouldnt of been mad, I wouldve been thrilled!!!! Old school tech works and does well without all that fancy crap or needing a blower to even compete or catch and follow GM or MOPAR. Look at any LS1, LS2 engines. There output is more than any of FORDS mod engines without BLOWERS. I say they shouldnever never steeped up to MODULAR and kept the Windsor 351 oldschool tech! :)

amen. I think its cool as hell ford's stepping the engine size and power up, but its not the same as the pushrod 5 liter. I think most people would have been disappointed if they had gone back to the original 5.0 :D

The 5.0 is back! - It's a smart move, we've been askin' for it now we got it. It may not be the pushrod version but who cares. It gives the Mustang a 302, more power, keeps things light weight, and I think for the first time in a long time the Mustang GT will beat a comparable Camaro SS in a fair fight. I can't wait for the 2011 Muscle car comparisons. I think it will out do the SRT Chally costing $10k more than it too.
When Chrysler brought back the Hemi name plate it was a smart marketing move and it worked. This is already holding true with Ford bringing back the 5.0. It's working on me!:nice:

BTW - This new engine will get the Mustang within range of a BMW M3 Coupe which costs twice as much. Check out the Road and Track magazine test data between the 2010 Mustang GT and the current BMW M3 which retails for $65,000+ The Mustang pretty much shares the same performance through the slalom and exactly the same lateral-g handling on the skid pad as the M3. The Mustang is slower in the 0-60 and Quarter Mile by around or just under 1 second. The Mustang getting almost another 100 hp will make that gap very small if not run neck and neck with it for half the price? Wow!

It's cool that it's a 5 liter, but I'd be just as happy if they got the same numbers out of a 4.6. The 6 speed alone is already a big plus in my book.

2010 styling + 6 speed + 400 hp = win

Maybe I'll be able to afford a 2011 model in 2015...if I stop pouring money into my 88, that is. :(

Does this mean the 5.0 section is going to have to be split into push-rod and modular sub-forums?

I've been reading about this engine, and honestly, the more I learn, the more disappointed I become. I think its going to be a killer off the showroom floor, but lack any much room for improvement for the average enthusiast.

1. This engine shares the same bore spacing and deck height as the 4.6, so stroking one of these out to a 347 like we can with the pushrod motor is out of the picture. The CID is pretty much at its limit from the factory.

2. It uses an ~11:1 compression ratio, so forget about slapping on a supercharger or turbocharger without going through the bottom end and replacing pistons. Might as well plan on buying new rods, too- this engine uses the same frail rods the new cars are known for.

3. It has a redline of 7K RPM. Sounds cool, but will porting or replacing the heads to get more airflow really help an engine that already breathes this well? N/A, this motor is probably pretty close to being at its power potential limit.

The only real benefit I see is that it is going to be a bulletproof aluminum block for cheap within the next few years. It still has a huge displacement disadvantage, and now its going to be even harder to slap on boost.