Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

Looks like 300-600 (some for way more, but I see at least 5 on car-part.net) for a full core from the yards here from a 90's truck/van. with as old as they are now they will be a bit rare, and somewhat a crapshoot if it's rebuildable (abuse cracks etc.)

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

It seems like there will soon be a plethora of salvage engines hitting the market down there once they start processing those flood cars. I would imagine salvage part prices would drop considerably...?

It doesn't surprise me that the 351w is starting to creep up in price. It's been over 20 years since Ford last put one of these in a production car and yet they're more popular than ever for folks like us.

I'll finish mine someday... Someday.

Reactions: 2 users
My job junked a complete running passenger van with a roller cam 351w. They did the same thing years ago with a 351 powered short wheelbase pickup truck. The mileage was low but the hour meter said it was time to get rid of it. I wasn't allowed to pull anything off of them.

We dropped off at scrapper. The rule is we are supposed to watch them crush it. A lot of times they just tell us to drop it on the side and "we'll get to it later." Some we HAVE to watch them crush and others not so much.

Alright! I bought a virgin roller block from my machinist for $300 yesterday and he's going to start on it. I wish I had the $ to pay him to assemble it and hand me a complete short block, but I'm not sure that feasible yet. But at least we are moving in the right direction!

Reactions: 7 users
Block -paid for
Machine work - paid for
Bearings - paid for
So the short block is basically a done deal now.

Next is a VSracing 78/75 turbo. I was supposed to sell a bunch of parts today, but the 3 sales I had lined up today ALL EFFING FLAKED OUT.
I hate selling stuff. HAAAAAAAAATE it.

Reactions: 4 users
Block -paid for
Machine work - paid for
Bearings - paid for
So the short block is basically a done deal now.

Next is a VSracing 78/75 turbo. I was supposed to sell a bunch of parts today, but the 3 sales I had lined up today ALL EFFING FLAKED OUT.
I hate selling stuff. HAAAAAAAAATE it.

So sloppy turbo eh?

I've been absolutely busting ass on my house trying to knock out the remainder of the projects while the block is getting prepped. Im so damn close!
Hopefully, I get the other block and a couple of other things sold this weekend and I'll order the turbo. Kinda sorta want to order the billet wheel (+$150) but I can't justify it rationally.
Also supposed to have my block ready this week. 4 months to go til D day B day.

Reactions: 5 users
Edited the comment above to reflect the current situation.

*** side note, please don't tell my wife I overspent my budget.

IMG_1640.JPG

Reactions: 9 users