The Infamous Rattle

CNCguy

Apr 12, 2015
Hey folks!

Jeremy from Indiana here. New kid on the forum block just looking for some insight from all you veterans who have been around for a minute or two :).

My wife and I just bought our second mustang. Our first one was an 02 GT auto tranny, the one we just bought a couple months ago is an 01 GT 5 speed with 80k miles so I'm still very new to the mustang anatomy. K&N cold air, off road X-Pipe, and we will call it an "Indiana-fied" exhaust that dumps out in front of the rears. The previous owner didn't do a BAD job on it, just could've been a little more clean. The thing does sound pretty mean.

Now onto the meat and potatoes...I have noticed that infamous "gravel in a tin can" sound upon starting and idling. I never take off in it until it is fully warmed up. This is the only time I hear this horribly embarrassing sound. After that, it is smooth as butter and purrs like a kitty. It does seem to come right around the bell housing but I can't say for sure. So that leads me to ask, what year did Ford leave out a couple bolts for the shield on the bell housing? I see this as the culprit in a lot of 05 and newer models, so I'm just not sure if my year even applies. I have limited access to a lift, and there is no way my ass is squeezing under there lol. So I would just like a direction to go before I lift her up. I've banged around on what I could reach of the exhaust and haven't heard anything like what I've been hearing, so I'm onto other things. Also, I never heard anything like this on our 02 auto tranny if that means anything...Thanks in advance everyone!

Cheers,

Jeremy

• Sponsors (?)

worn timing chain guides will sound like that at start-up, but at 80K miles that shouldn't be an issue...

I would have to agree...Actually just got back from the exhaust shop and we seem to think it is a bad catalytic converter. Surprised the hell out of me, but hey, he gets paid to know this stuff lol. But do you think a bad kitty would stop rattling after it has warmed up?

I would have to agree...Actually just got back from the exhaust shop and we seem to think it is a bad catalytic converter. Surprised the hell out of me, but hey, he gets paid to know this stuff lol. But do you think a bad kitty would stop rattling after it has warmed up?

Naw... They start breaking up after a few OVERheat cycles.

Might be a good time to put in some 3-way if you can do that where you live.